Author Topic: Spada Decals & Blue Rider Decals  (Read 2015 times)

WarrenD

Spada Decals & Blue Rider Decals
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:26:07 AM »
I know Spada is now defunct, but I managed to pick up at least one set sometime back.  Have any of you had any experience in using them?  Problems, issues, etc.?

I've managed to also acquire quite a few Blue Rider decal sets. Same question: anything I need to know before using them?

Thank you!

Warren

Offline rhallinger

Re: Spada Decals & Blue Rider Decals
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:17 AM »
Be careful with the Spada decals.  Some I have tried do not have an opaque base, and disappear when applied to a dark surface.  They sometimes do not fit the particular kit parts they are designed for.  My experience was with the Belgian Sopwith Camel set for Jan Olieslagrrs.  I experienced both problems with this set, and ended up painting the markings.

Regards,

Bob

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:49:01 AM »
Thanks Bob, the Spada decals do look thin on color density. I've got one for a Nie.17, and the escadrille insignia and serials are the main thing I'm going to use, the rest I can source from other sheets.

Thanks!

Now, for some Blue Rider advice . . . . .

Warren

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:15:19 AM »
 Warren,
I've experience with both brands. Spada decals are indeed lacking in color density. This is the brand I used on my Camel project long ago,but also used the supplied decals for the roundels . The best I can remember the some of the colors Spada used for the set just didn't look proper to my eyes. Perhaps Des will chime in later on the subject since he also used them on his Camel.

As for Blue Rider Decals they were my preferred decals for 1/48 scale projects. I used them for years until I up scaled to 1/32 scale. They're an excellent aftermarket decal. Never any problems with the brand at all. I still have any of their sets in the decal stash. Indeed I believe I have marking for Italian Nieuport's (17/11). I'm not certain what scale you prefer,but if it's 1/48 I' m certain I can help you . Just let me know.

Looking forward to seeing your Nieuport grace this forum soon my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 06:38:27 AM »
I used the Spada decals on a S. XIII but found them extremely touchy to use.  They're very thin so need a great deal of care not to rip them. 

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:09:18 AM »
Thanks forumites!  Gregory, I attempt to model in 1/72nd scale, but thanks for much for the offer pard. I've been working on getting my man cave back in to shape and trying to sort out the Nieuport builds I put up for safe-keeping. Funny, it looks like I had three going at one time.  :o  Oh well, time for a batch build. (I wanted to do a couple for the French GB, but had to back out.)

Thanks oldalbie, they do look extremely thin, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Warren

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:00:45 PM »
Hey Warren

Just noticed this thread.
I have limited experience of Spada but found them nice and thin and able to conform well to most surfaces.

Blue Rider on the other hand I used extensively as they had such a wide range but usually found them a real pig to work with! IMHO they were very thick and took many many applications of MicroSol etc to get them to settle over any ridge or bump. Usually I'd set them then next day go back with a needle puncturing round the lumps and soaking more solvent in the holes.

Some of the subjects were unmissable though and worth the effort. - eg this 1/48 training Pup, which I showed elsewhere some years ago.
Sandy

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
I used the Spada decals for my Academy Camel build. The decals were okay but avoid using any decal set solution, the decal I applied solution to just disintegrated, I was using Mr Mark Softer at the time.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
Thanks Sandy!  I want to say I remember seeing your build in the gallery on the WWI Modeling List website many, many years ago. I've picked up some BR sheets here and there as sales have come up. The set I have the biggest jones on for right now is the Belgian a/c set with its Nieuports.

Thank you Des, disappointing about your experience.

Interesting that Sandy used Micro-Sol, and it worked fine, but Des, your use of Mr. Mark Softer resulted in destruction. Hmmmmm

I do say I want to remember someone saying that the BR decals are stiff.

Warren