Author Topic: Encore Fokker F1 103/17 Triplane and WNW SE5a (Duel) build: Plus MvR Dr1  (Read 105805 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Encore Fokker Triplane and WNW SE5a Dual build
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 11:42:52 PM »
I have progressed on the DR1 and SE5a. Here are a few photos of the DR1. SE5a later or tomorrow"

RAGIII

The Roden Engine on the right and the Encore Resin engine on the left. ( Obviously need to paint some things on both) Also the pipes are just sitting in place on the resin engine. That being said not a whole lot of difference and I don't know that it is worth the effort? My thought is if you want a detailed Motor get the Taurus version and the Aviattic Cowl.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:05:55 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:18 AM »
Beautiful work on the interior, Amigo!  And, for what it's worth, I like the Roden engine better.  Makes me wonder why Encore even bothered with casting one in resin.  I personally feel that, once cowled, a Tausus engine would be only a marginal improvement.  But that's just me.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline petrov27

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 03:21:28 AM »
Yeah, the resin engine in this kit is a little of a head scratcher - I personally did not find the detail to be much differing than the original Roden plastic

a comparison of the cylinder head detail. I ended up going with the Roden plastic dressed up with Taurus plugs for my build

-Patrick

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
Nice progress so far. I'm also with the Roden plasic engine, it looks sharper and cleaner.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
Nice work Rick - seeing as yours has come out I'm with the Roden engine too. There doesn't seem to be much point in searching out the Encore kit over the basic Roden so far  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 08:38:06 PM »
The main difference between Encore and Roden should be the shape of the cowling - Roden is missing the row of screws/rivets on the front (which have been added here via a dedicated pe part).

S.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2016, 12:06:56 AM »
Thanks to all for the comments. I tend to agree about the engine as stated. So I am going to do something now that I probably should have done in the beginning of this thread. I thought everyone would be aware of the Encore kit and how it differs from the Roden original. Let me start by saying if you are doing a Voss or MvR/Kurt Wolf F1 the Encore is still the way to go due to the corrected tail feathers, ailerons, and rudder. There is also the very nicel done Voss figure and decals for both F1 variants. SO here are photos of the Encore Box and Parts:

The Resin parts include those pictured the engine and cowling being just a couple of those supplied. Note: The Resin cowling is not correct for the F1. It is missing the curve at the lower portion seen on the Roden cowling and the Aviattic version. It is correct, minus the pan at the bottom for some DR1 cowlings. The upper fuselage decking is more correct although one can easily correct the Roden Parts. For an F1, the ailerons in resin are more correct as is the Resin Tail and rudder. The figure is nicely done and agreat addition for those that like to paint figures. The Eduard PE provided is good but the Part PE is better in most respects. I happen to have had a secondhand Fokker DVI set that is virtually identical to the DR1 set so I am using bits and pieces from both.

So Tug, it all depends on which version you want to build. If a Voss F1 the Encore kit is best but not an absolute necessity!

RAGIII
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:23:00 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
Thanks Rick for taking the time to do this.

Looking at the images carefully and without any reason to knock the Encore version I think the basic Roden with the addition of some AM parts is probably the way I would go. Like many I would like to see WNW produce a DR1 but given their statement that's unlikely in the short term at least. I've always liked the tripe - who doesn't - so despite having probably too many in the stash to do anyway I shall look to getting one before too long is up - it will not be long now before I'm able to 'get back on the plastic'  :)

In the meantime I shall follow the progress of yourself and others with a high degree of keen anticipation

Regards - Tug

Offline Borsos

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2016, 05:16:42 AM »
Rick,
a big "thank you" from my side as well. This Looks actually like a fine kit, but it's another hard to get encore kit, at least here in Germany. I just have the Roden kit. But I go for the black Tripe of Kobes anyway  :). Until it comes to mine, I'll follow your progress closely. Do you mind another question? You're mentioning an Aviattic cowling, is this one an old release? I cannot find it on their site, so I had planned to upgrade the kit's cowling with some PART PE.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
Rick,
a big "thank you" from my side as well. This Looks actually like a fine kit, but it's another hard to get encore kit, at least here in Germany. I just have the Roden kit. But I go for the black Tripe of Kobes anyway  :). Until it comes to mine, I'll follow your progress closely. Do you mind another question? You're mentioning an Aviattic cowling, is this one an old release? I cannot find it on their site, so I had planned to upgrade the kit's cowling with some PART PE.
Best wishes
Borsos

Thanks Andreas. I just checked and the Cowling is not shown as you stated. It was one of Rons earlier pieces taken over by Aviattic when Ron joined the team. It was actually designed so the Taurus engine would fit inside so unless one is using that engine not a necessity. There are photos on the previous page. ( The darker grey cowling).
RAGIII

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2016, 03:18:23 AM »
Rick nice progress so far.i read your comment on the encore resin engine vs roden engine.i like you are sure these are just the roden parts recast I pondered why and the only thing I could think was by doing this to would make it so there was no glue seam made.from gluing front/back together. My self personally liked it because usually when I do a front/back part rotary there is usually a raised ridge down the side of the cylinders which then has to be scraped then Scribed to reinstate the grooves that are removed during cleaning

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
Here are the latest photos. Still some work to do on the control stick, some weathering on the belts, and adding the control wires . A little touch up then it will be ready to close up.

RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:08:12 PM by RAGIII »

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »
Looking real good Amigo !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
Rick nice progress so far.i read your comment on the encore resin engine vs roden engine.i like you are sure these are just the roden parts recast I pondered why and the only thing I could think was by doing this to would make it so there was no glue seam made.from gluing front/back together. My self personally liked it because usually when I do a front/back part rotary there is usually a raised ridge down the side of the cylinders which then has to be scraped then Scribed to reinstate the grooves that are removed during cleaning

Thanks for the comment Scott! I agree about the resin engine although I have gone on with painting both the kit and Encore engines. I will decide which to use when they are completed.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
Looking real good Amigo !

Ed

Thanks Ed! I always appreciate your following along!
RAGIII