12 (21.8%)
I dream of being a pilot
10 (18.2%)
I am always a passenger
20 (36.4%)
I hate flying
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Pilot or passenger  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Re: Pilot or passenger
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 11:53:44 PM »
For someone who has been intereted in aircraft since they were about ten years old I have flown only four times in my life. Once was in a De Havilland Dragon Rapide at Old Warden, last year. Once was from Manchester to Amsterdam in some nondescript airliner, in 1999, and then the return flight a few days later.

But my first was the best. I would have been about 15 years old and as a member of the Air Training Corps we got the opportunity to fly an RAF Chipmunk at RAF Finningley (Now Robin Hood Airport). I remember the film about how to bale out in an emergency, and the safety talk almost put me off doing it but I waddled out to the aircraft with the parachute and was strapped into the back seat by the groundcrew guy and then, once we had clearance, the RAF pilot took off and up to about 3000ft.

He asked if I wanted a go (I can't remember the exact procedure but it was something about him saying "you have control" and I replying "I have control"). I took the stick and was very surprised at how little movement it needed as we went diving toward the ground! The pilot, cool as a cucumber, and in a stereotypical posh English voice calmly said "Pull up, old chap, you're not in a Spitfire, you know". After that I remember gently banking round in wide circles and looking down on Thorne Moors until he took over and brought us in to land. I think the total flying time was about 20 minutes but I will always remember it.  :)

WarrenD

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »
What an awesome, wonderful experience Squiffy.

Warren

Offline IvotB

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »
When I was young I would have liked to be able to fly, but I was soon discouraged because I was wearing glasses. I realised too late that I would have been able to get a gliders licence. My maiden flight as a passenger was on a F27 Troopship of the RNLAF when I had to serve there. I got the chance to fly quite often in these planes and also in a Bölkow 105B.
Nowadays I'm a frequent flyer with KLM. I always want to have a window seat as somehow I'm able to navigate. If the weather is clear that is. I remember on time flying from Crete to the Netherlands when I realised we were flying above Bosnia and I asked the flight attendent whether or not that was safe at that time (1995), but she didn't know. Within 5 minutes I was asked into the cockpit and the pilot confirmed my guess and told me it was allowed above a certain height. He pointed Sarajewo and Belgrad out to me.
Thinking about what has happened to MH17 in the Ukraïne, we now know how safe safe can be.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Jacek

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 02:32:50 AM »
I am lucky to have a friend who has a plane and landing strip.
I do not have a pilot's license and fly only as a passenger.
I invite all lovers of flying !

Info:  http://www.zalasem1.cba.pl/english/main.html

Greetings.

Jacek