Author Topic: Sopwith Tabloid (Classic Planes) and Baby (Eduard), another 1:72 double build  (Read 18317 times)

Offline RAGIII

Nice work on the strut fix! Looking outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Ian,
Beautiful work as expected my old friend. Over the years I'll noted that the strut locations pips are not always where they should be in some vac kits. Excellent correction on yours. Keep up the excellence!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IanB

Thanks Rick.
Gregory, unfortunately I had noticed that and filled all the pips. The error in strut position was entirely my own doing!

I had another good few hours on these today, but nowt worth a pic. I switched back to the Baby and made all the struts. The same system as I used for the Tabloid - .020" brass rod for the cabanes and .020" plastic rod for the interplane struts. Strips of .020" x .020" plastic rod were glued to each to give the required depth to the struts. While waiting for those to dry I measured and drilled all the strut mounting locations, then drilled all the rigging holes. After all that drilling I then gave the struts a thin coat of Mr Dissolved Putty to hide the seams. When that's dry (tomorrow) I'll sand them to shape....

Ian

Offline IanB

The struts are now done, and today I attached all the rigging lines and the cabane struts.

I now have a hairy Baby....

She is also now armed, but probably not too dangerous....

Ian

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Great work with this tiny tings. Will turn out  great, when ready rigged.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline IanB

Thanks Manni!

No work today so the Baby has been rigged......a couple of shots just after the wing was added

and all tidied up...

Of course dimwit here forgot to add the windshield before attaching the upper wing! Consequently it's not perfect, but it will do - it's as straight as I can get it, and it's pretty well hidden under there too so it's not too desperate!

Both of these are now ready for the upper wings to be touched up and then it's on to the floats/landing gear.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

WarrenD

Great job Ian!

Warren

Offline Gisbod

Lovely rigging Ian,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

Your rigging looks excellent. Nice and tight and to scale!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Great job. From the start up to the rigging. Very good work.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
Very interesting WIP. I have great admiration for such kind of work.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Outstanding work on both aircraft.  Cannot believe this is 1/72.  Looking forward to your updates.

Offline Monty

Lovely looking build and progress... It's very enjoyable following this... Your rigging is shaping up beautifully... Regards, Marc

Offline lone modeller

Just catching up Ian. My you do move with these models but your standards remain incredibly high. Just a great thread to follow.

Stephen.

Offline IanB

Thanks to everyone for the comments, all very much appreciated!

I finally got around to a task I'd not been looking forward to: attaching the floats!

I had been pondering various different possibilities for rigging them bearing in mind that there is a drag wire to the wings, and there are 2 small "bullets" to hold the wires in their correct positions. I decided that the easiest would be to drill the float struts and thread them as I normally do, adding the home-made "bullets" at the same time (I hope....). The only problem being the size of the struts, so a 0.15mm drill bit was used - I can barely even see the holes...this is NOT going to be fun....

Anyway, that joy is still to come. Today I achieved my goals......

I do believe they're even straight, and the wings are level - result!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian