Author Topic: The Lafayette Escadrille: A Photo History of the First American Fighter Squadron  (Read 1305 times)

Offline James

A new book, scheduled to be released tomorrow, The Lafayette Escadrille: A Photo History of the First American Fighter Squadron by Steven A. Ruffin. Looks like this may be a really good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Lafayette-Escadrille-History-American-Squadron/dp/1612003508

James Sontag
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

WarrenD

Thanks James!  Definitely added to my want list!

Warren

Offline RAGIII

Thanks James!  Definitely added to my want list!

Warren

Same Here!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

WarrenD

Well, purchased it, read it. A great book, but I do have one complaint. It's not a photo-history as stated in the title. Now, don't get me wrong, it *IS* a good history of the LE, but when I see "photo-history" in the title, I expect a book consisting primarily of photographic images, and the test contained therein is to either caption the photos, place them in context, or explain them. The book does not do this at all. There are some nice, unpublished (to me) images, but anyone buying it thinking they're going to get a treasure trove of images of the aircraft of the LE are going to be in for a big disappointment.
Is it a good "one stop shop" for a history of the LE?  Yes, in this it is excellent. The few profiles that are offered are superb, and of a/c not profiled, to my knowledge, elsewhere.
Am I glad I bought it?  Yes, I'm always up for any quality tome on the history of most any aspect of the French Air Service. Would I recommend it?  Yes, to someone wanting to read about the history of the LE. Is it a good photo-history?  No, it is not. If you want numerous images of Nieuports, SPAD's, etc. then you're going to have to go to other publishers to add to what is in here.

Just my two kopecks, your madness may vary,

FWIW,

Warren