Author Topic: Bristol M1 C4994  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Dric

Bristol M1 C4994
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:55 PM »
Hello all,
in the process of looking for a color scheme for the Bristol M1 I must admitt that a particular scheme give me white hairs.
I'm sure that almost everydody know the C4994. This is equally the scheme of the M1 replic exposed at Hendon.

I saw only one WWI picture of this aircraft.
It was published in the Windsock Datafile 52 (picture 49 p.22), and for me something is definitively not clear.

On a lot of WWI period pictures of RFC aircraft the center of the cockade (the red) is dark almost as much as black.
From an other side the blue take usually a light tone as can be observed by example here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep161hz6mcp0x8r/32060_Bristol_M1_C_kam_B_4994_Drak%20kriv_small.jpg?dl=0.

Following this rule the dragon on WWI picture should be a dark tone, however it is clear  :P that the rendering of the color in the Windsock's picture is a clear tone.

Does anyone know more about this particular aircraft ? or have knowledge of other pictures or documents than the one published in the Windsock ?

Thanks for reading and for any comment.
Dric

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: Bristol M1 C4994
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:52:24 PM »
G'day, Dric.

That aircraft is in the RAF museum at Cosgford.  I have plenty of photo's and posted a few of them on this board ( http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5610.0 ), but have lost my website (changed ISP policy) and they disappeared from the web. In answer to your question, on the aircraft in Cosford the dragon is a bright red, nearly scarlet, with white eyes.  The red appeared a little brighter than the trim on the fin, serial on the fin and the cockade centres and rudder stripes.  However that may be because of the surrounding , weathered brown colour of the fuselage making the red look brighter.  The upper surfaces and side of the fuselage are a weathered dark brown, so the colour has a grey tint.  But in a couple of photo's the colour looks more greenish and smoother, an effect of the light (it was late afternoon when I took the photo's).

If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you some of the photo's showing parts of the dragon and tail assembly.  The way the aircraft was positioned in the hall and the sun coming through the windows meant I couldn't get a good, whole-fuselage photo'.  So I'll have to go back one day and try again.

Cheers.

Dal. 

Offline Dric

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:07:36 AM »
Hello Dal,
thanks a lot for your reply and kind proposal, I will write you a PM.

In more detail, I wonder about the interpretation of the colors of the Windsock's picture that seem to contradict the colors used to paint the Bristol replica of Hendon.
I could, of course, be totally wrong, but I would like to understand why   ;D

Dric

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »
Photo's sent, Dric.  let me know if you need more, as I took about 30 while I was there, but only 10 or so are useful.

As for the colours and the difference between Windsock and Cosgrove/Hendon, I'd say it's just a different interpretation by the two.  After all, trying to interpret black and white images is extremely difficult and the use of filters, artificial light (flashes or lamps), types of film and methods of developing the photo's just make it even harder.

When I'm faced with that question I decide to choose one source and stick with that.  If I get better information later then I can always repaint the model- but that has only happened once, fortunately.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Dric

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »
Thanks a million for the pictures and comment Dal.
I fully agree with your opinion about interpretation of B&W pictures the subject could even be conflictual for some  :o.

Cheers
Dric