Author Topic: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale  (Read 44666 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
This will be my second scratch build, this time the Jeannin Taube in 1:32 scale. I have started by building the entire fuselage frame, I used 0.9mm Evergreen round stock to simulate the tubing used in the real aircraft. To attach the rigging I needed to make small gussets which were fitted to the frame, a 0.3mm hole provides the attachment point for the rigging. I rigged the frame using 0.12mm Maxima Chameleon mono, once it was fitted I painted it with Mr Metal Color Stainless then buffed it lightly.
I have used a green backing for these three photos to allow the white to stand out against the background.

Des.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:23:22 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
These photos show the fuselage frame rigging just about done, still need to do a little bit around the engine bay. The evergreen round stock is pretty good but is fairly weak, the rigging certainly strengthens the entire frame and makes it a solid unit. All the frame pieces were glued with plastic glue while the rigging is secured with CA.
The close-up photo shows the little gussets which needed to be fitted to support the rigging wires, very tedious and time consuming work making and fitting them.

Des.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:21:58 AM by Des »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
You’re doing your usual spectacular work on this model Des, just as I would expect. I honestly don’t know how you execute such intricate detail but it’s always a treat to see it. Having just visited your web site, I know your aim is to make it as authentic as possible, but I didn’t think it would extend to the hidden framework. Is there a structural reason why you’re doing it, or is it strictly for authenticity? Whatever the case, it’ll be a pity to see it covered up.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
Thanks Chris for your comments.

There is no particular reason for me doing the entire fuselage frame and rigging, I just like doing it. I realise that most of it will be hidden from view once the fuselage covering is fitted but it doesn't matter, I had fun doing it.

Des.

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous as usual Des.
I'm a little curious as to why you rigged it before painting it, although I know there will be a very good reason....

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
Yay!  Really glad you finally started on your dream machine!  As usual, you're of to an extraordinary start.  I can't wait to see your wings.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
Thanks Ian for your comments - the frame on the restored original aircraft is white, and the evergreen round rod is already white, so no painting needed, also, to allow the fuselage covering to adhere well to the frame work I didn't want any paint to interfer with the bonding. The only part of the fuselage frame that will be seen is in the cockpit and the observers pit, if painting needs to be done it will be a fairly simple matter.

Thanks Bud for your comments, I haven't even thought about the wings yet, I'm still working out how to convert my Mercedes D.III into a D.I engine.

Des.

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »
Your work is true inspiration!  :)
I only wish I had the time to get back to my scratchbuilding tools... :-[
Anyway, I´m sure that this is going to be another masterpiece... and even if the airframe ends up hidden, we will always have the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:05:03 AM by Jose Chaica »
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
Thanks Bud for your comments, I haven't even thought about the wings yet, I'm still working out how to convert my Mercedes D.III into a D.I engine.

Des.
Taurus has one in 1/48 scale.  Maybe these images will help you see what needs to be done.
http://www.taurusmodels.pl/images%2006%20Mercedes.htm
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Great work so far Des - the frame looks nice and tight and up to your usual stratospheric standards!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
Thanks Bud, I have the Taurus 1:48 scale Mercedes D.I engine in my hot little hands, so it will be used as a reference guide.

Thanks for your comments Andrew and Jose, much appreciated.

Des.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »
Thanks Bud, I have the Taurus 1:48 scale Mercedes D.I engine in my hot little hands, so it will be used as a reference guide.

Thanks for your comments Andrew and Jose, much appreciated.

Des.
8)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »
   Des,
Just one word my old friend, AWESOME.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:06:18 AM »
And............. he's off and running again!! Des, you are truly a Modeler's modeler, stunning work already, brilliant improvisation (better word then "scratching") and going to be a wonderful spectator experience and we are all, I'm certain, awaiting the next updates with great anticipation.
Great (and unique) subject, great execution, and only the tip of the iceberg I'm sure. Certainly has my attention.....keep it coming!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:18 AM »
Lovely work on the frame and rigging, Des  ;)
Keep it coming!

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith