Author Topic: 20 kg Carbonit bombs  (Read 2440 times)

Offline dcshoe

20 kg Carbonit bombs
« on: January 30, 2016, 02:20:34 AM »
Before under-fuselage bomb racks were fitted to the Albatros B.II, they sometimes carried two 20 kg Carbonit bombs. How were they mounted and carried? Who dropped them, the observer (hard to do from the front cockpit) or the pilot (hard to do with flying the plane)? I'd like to fit them to my WNW C.II but haven't a clue.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: 20 kg Carbonit bombs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 03:05:11 AM »
they were dropped over the side (by hand)

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:23:13 AM »
In Windsock Datafile 93, there are a couple of pictures (pages 6 and 9) of a cylindrical wire cage for dropping the Carbonit bombs, just behind the radiators. There is a space between the lower wing and fuselage at the rear. The cage is mounted between the two cockpits, and the observer might be able to turn around and reach it. in the photo on page 6, it looks like there could be a wire from the top into the cockpit, perhaps for a release mechanism. The two pictures look like slightly different designs, so may have been fabricated at the unit level.

Rich

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
Hi Dcshoe,

I have the datafile for the Roland and it is a bit of a conundrum as to how they were fitted.

The Wingnuts kit just has the lower relief moulded into two cells on the underside.

The tail fins of the carbonits would protrude into the fuel tank area as I see it on the WNW model.

Obviously the wire hook on the top was for hanging them into some sort of internal fuselage mounting point, as you cannot have them just rolling around on the floor of the observer's compartment?

Maybe more information will come to light in the future?

Bo's Flugzeugwerke carbonits look really good when they are built up. The slightly rough texture looks like the real things as seen in Vienna and Paris.