Author Topic: Hangar Camouflage?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Hangar Camouflage?
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:19:18 AM »
I know this section is about aircraft camouflage but I think this is probably the best place to ask...

Bessoneau hangars - these are in the background on a lot of RFC/RAF photos. They are not a uniform colour (or shade of grey in the photos) so I'm wondering if the difference in colour is down to the way the light reflects off individual lengths of canvas that make up the covering, or is it a camouflage scheme that is painted on?

WarrenD

Re: Hangar Camouflage?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
To the best of my knowledge Squiffy the difference in color (colour!) is the result of different panels, fading, weathering, etc. I forget which Windsock has an article on these hangers (with plans!) but Ray R. included some color shots of one of the last ones still in use. The images showed various fading, etc. like you'd expect on tent canvas left out for a long time, etc.

Now, I'm not saying they weren't camo'd, as I honestly don't know one way of the other, but I'd go with fading, etc. first.

That's just me however.

HTH!

Warren

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:58 PM »
Thanks, Warren.

Offline PiotrM

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:37:02 AM »

Hi
One of the PRO documents says that hangar canvas should be paint by gentian or iodine to protect its against the mildew.
The canvas samples attached to this file are: dark mustard yellow and dark malachite green...
Unfortunately at this moment I don't have signature of this doccument.
BR
Piotr