Author Topic: WW I horse drawn vehical info  (Read 2481 times)

Offline JamesAPrattIII

WW I horse drawn vehical info
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »
During WW I all sides used large numbers of horse drawn vehicles they would not be out of place at an airfield ect. here are some sources on them:

The German Infantry carts and filed wagons 1900-1945 Wilfred Kopenhagen

Discovering Horse drawn transport of the British Army D.J. Smith

The Zulu War A Pictoral History Michael Barthrop has scale drawing of Wagons used

Airfix Magazine Oct 1968 has an article on the German Army 1914-18 David Nash Part 8 Rear Echelons some information on horse drawn transport

Axis history forum:
section The Soviet Union at War 1917-45 has a posting: Russian Army and Red Army Horse drawn wagons and carts

section Ron Klages Panzers and other vehicles section has a posting: German Horse drawn wagons mostly WW II but some WW I and field kitchens mostly WW II but some WW I

I believe the Austrians at the start of WW I still had wagons in use from the 1848 period. All sides made use of captured and impressed civilian wagons and carts.

I hope this is of some use or interest.

Offline RAGIII

Re: WW I horse drawn vehical info
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:21 AM »
Thanks for posting the info on available references.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »
Thanks James, horse drawn wagons were widely used throughout WW1.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:55:40 AM »
Thanks James, horse drawn wagons were widely used throughout WW1.

Des.

What's crazy is how much horses were still being used in WWII. I recently watched the "WWII in Color" series on Netflix and they show some good footage of horses being used to pull wagons and carry soldiers. I'm not a fan of colorizing old B&W footage, but it is an interesting series to watch.

George

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
So true. Many folks bought, and still buy into, the propaganda machine's work in having everyone believe that the Germans had gobs and gobs of armored vehicles and mechanized transport during the second unpleasantness. If memory serves me correctly, German infantry divisions throughout WWII were 80% to 90% horse drawn throughout the war.
An old reenacting pard and I, who have dealt with harnessing and driving teams of horses at living history sites, etc. were remarking to our friends on FB the other evening about how late 20th c./early 21st c. folks cannot hope to wrap their heads around the numbers of horses used up by all participants during WWI.  The world was still a "horse-drawn" then. Vehicles powered by internal combustion engines were by far the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks so much for posting that info James.

Warren

PS: My Godfather was in the cavalry during WWII, and remembered in 1943 when they came to take the horses. Kinda busted a lot of grown men up, lots of sniffling, and guys with something in their eye.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
I am glad to be of help. Here is some more information:

Hat Industrie makes:
German WW I field wagon: Light filed wagon 95 also used in WW II
German II filed wagon: Heavy provision wagon 05 also used in both World wars
French baggage wagon can be converted to French model 1877 wagon by adding a seat and cutting back the canvas cover. Still in use by the French army in WW II captured examples used by the Germans.
At the start of WW I the Austrians were still using wagons from the 1848 period.

In WW II most countries except the US and England still used large numbers of horses and horse drawn transport through out the war.