Author Topic: Elastic for rigging - EZ line?  (Read 8640 times)

Offline Jimmy

Re: Elastic for rigging - EZ line?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »
I'm wondering what folks think about this statement I read about not being able to see rigging in 1/72 scale.  My gut feeling is that it is wrong.  I don't have any real 1:1 scale biplanes to look at, but I'll bet that if you go stand 72 feet away from one that you will be able to see the rigging.   I suppose it is a moot point, because whether you can or can't see the rigging I'm going to rig my 1/72 planes any way.

Up to now I've only used nylon monofiliment that I bought in a fabric store.  It's sorta clear, so I drag it across a sharpie marker to give in a little color.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:05 AM »
Hi guys,
I have now tried another possibility. Nickel Silver Rod from Albion Alloys. They are available in 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.33mm diameter. Length is 30 centimeters, and one pack contains 6 pieces. Costs around 4,50 euro in germany. And the best is, no trouble with stretching etc. ;D I find it ideal for this scale (1/72)

Greetings from old germany

Jürgen
Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 12:49:11 AM »
Even if it might be overscale or not, seeing a 1/72 aircraft without rigging looks wrong in my eyes.
I have used 0,06 and 0,08mm fishing line up to now, but tried Ushi's Fine (the extra fine looks almost too thin in my eyes, though might be more true to scale?).

Takes a bit of getting used to, especially it being more flexible and the ends curling up when you add CA glue to it. Now that I'm nearly done with my Albatros and Fokker I seem to have gotten the hang of it, and though it does not add structural strength, it is nice stuff and less prone to breaking loose due to its flexibility. :)
The fine looks almost exactly the same in thickness/finesse on my D.Va as it does on my D.III.

Just my experiences as a first-time Ushi flexible rigging user.

Jeroen

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 01:17:21 AM »
Squiffy,
   I like the Modelkasten product, the 0.6 1:48 Scale black stuff from Hobbylink Japan, about $12 US or 11 Euros for a spool of 25 M.

https://www.hlj.com/product/MDKHS-1/Air

It is much easier to use then EZ Line and takes lacquer paints well.
Cheers,
Lance

Link shows it out of stock but I found it on Amazon from Japan.

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Bughunter

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 02:10:57 AM »
I've seen EZ line on the internets. It's sold as 0.15mm but it's a flat section, which is no good
It depends!
I take it as advantage and use this flat EZ-line as good representation in 1/48 of the flat RAF-wires of British biplanes together with terminals created by help of brass micro tubes.
For normal rigging I use this Uschi threads are used with Gaspatch turnbuckles.
See my models in "Completed models" how this may look.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
EZ line starts as a flat section, but under tension looks more round, that or so thin you can barely tell any difference!

Offline IanB

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 12:03:54 AM »
Correct scale rigging in 1:72 is around .06mm for which I use 1.5lb test monofilament. 2lb test looks fine too and is easier to work with. It is around .13mm so is a lot more visible. The problem I find is that the thicker the line, the harder it is to eliminate any curve to it at the point it threads through the wing.
 Here are a couple of shots of my Airfix RE8s, the first, an old build with .13mm rigging, the second a more recent one with .06mm

Ian