Author Topic: Nina(c)k post war  (Read 1836 times)

Offline janh

Nina(c)k post war
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »
Hi Rowan,
i've been staring at the pictures of the postwar 9A ever since WNW showed the early mockup of the kit a few years back. The slats particularly make it a very attractive model. i'm somewhat disappointed that no British subject is provided in the decal set provided. Are you considering a sheet to cover this gap? i'm e.g. thinking about the A on the back of the NINAK book.

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Nina(c)k post war
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
Hello Jan,

I am about to announce a post-war DH9A decal set, together with etched wheels and a few other etched parts. There is a problem with the "A" machine on the back of the Datafile, as this (along with a number of other attractively marked examples) has the raised "hump-back" rear fuselage of many late 9As. It isn't that difficult to convert the kit to this configuration, I expect, as the fuselage is basically a square box, but given the large scale it requires a lot more detail additions and changes than a 72nd or 48th scale conversion. It would also not be a simple conversion to provide in Resin - believe me, I've looked! That said, I think there will be sufficient varied markings on the set to keep most inter-war RAF fans happy (and maybe a Russian or Chinese supporter as well...).

More news soon -  I await delivery of my own Ninack kit to check some details.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:07:43 PM »
That's fabulous news Rowan - not just about the decals but also the etched wheels which were fitted to most of the postwar RAAF Ninacks I'm interested in modelling.  Speaking of which, any chance of a battleship grey and silver Aussie scheme? :) cheers Brad

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
That's fabulous news Rowan - not just about the decals but also the etched wheels which were fitted to most of the postwar RAAF Ninacks I'm interested in modelling.  Speaking of which, any chance of a battleship grey and silver Aussie scheme? :) cheers Brad

Any handy references for this one, Brad? It sounds interesting.

R
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »
Hi Rowan

Chapter 7 of John Bennett's "The Imperial Gift:  British Aeroplanes which formed the RAAF in 1921" (Banner Books, 1996) focuses on the DH.9As Australia received as part of the Gift and has fair to good pictures of many aircraft, including A1-7 and A1-11 in grey and silver circa mid-1920s.  Happy to lend you my copy if it will help get a scheme on the set. :)  Alternately the ADF Serials website has a nice gallery of RAAF Ninacks but the only silver/grey scheme I can find there is A1-28 when modified to a single-seater, which would be a bit much work I think. 

The thing that's been holding me back from trying one of these (apart from the lack of decals, which could probably be cobbled together but would be much nicer if all together on a sheet) is the spoked wheels....It's great you're thinking of including these!

cheers Brad

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 03:15:35 AM »
Great news, Rowan.  And might I add my name to those who would love to see more than just one (1) or two (2) Polikarpov R-1's on a sheet.
Honor Necessity