Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII (OAW) and Albatros D.Va -> Jasta Raben  (Read 20306 times)

Offline TobyCoulson

Re: Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII (OAW) and Albatros D.Va -> Jasta Raben
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
Having made a few 1/72 biplanes I can really appreciate the work you're putting into these. Love that colour scheme. It does stand out. No wonder they got shot down ;)
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:47 AM »
A very colourful pair of birds, these models will be stunning when completed.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, RAGIII, Albatros1234, Toby and Des!

I'm kind of struggling getting proper pieces of Lozenge decals cut (I have the bolt-version of Aviattic lozenges). Somehow I can't get them exactly square, so either the sides or front don't line up properly.
At least the paint job looks good, that's one part of modelling (next to decals) I mostly manage to mess up!

The thread about cutting thin decal strips has given my an idea to cut proper bolts of lozenge, too. :)

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 05:30:11 AM »
And it worked -I glued 2 X-acto blades to some pieces of precisely cut/sanded sprue and was able to cut them nice and straight, after a bit of practice!
However, I neglected to account for the "seam" joins so I have re-done them slightly narrower. The first 2 bolts from the wing root were already added before that -hence why I started with the lower surfaces of the lower wings first!

After fighting and cursing Techmod lozenge on 2 D.VIIs and one E.V, I've found the Aviattic very easy to work with. In fact, they're so thin and flexible you can see some small dust particles underneath! Great stuff -my new 1/72 favourite decals. :)

Now on to the paint repairs first, but I just wanted to try those decals first. ;)

Jeroen

Offline IanB

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »
Great stuff! Now you'll just need to get some of the pre-joined lozenge and save yourself the effort of cutting individual strips and allowing for the seams!

Ian

Offline radio

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 06:19:45 AM »
Wonderful work and painting.
Cheers
Martin

Offline moustique

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »
Hi Jeroen

you make a very wonderful work

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 10:31:50 PM »
Great work on the lozenge decals. I'm not looking forward to doing them on mine but I've got enough if it goes wrong. Hopefully it won't.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Online RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 11:49:30 PM »
Great work on the lozenge decals. I'm not looking forward to doing them on mine but I've got enough if it goes wrong. Hopefully it won't.

First let me say I agree about the great work! Your lozenge has been applied quite nicely! Second for Toby,
Don't fear using Aviattic Lozenge. Follow the "Suggestions" that come along with the sheets and I am sure you will do well.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 06:22:05 AM »
Thank you all  for the kind words! I must admit my least liked thing, modelling-wise, has always been painting and decalling. Since switching to Revell Aqua and Lifecolor, as well as Tamiya X-22 for gloss, my painting has improved and I get to enjoy it more -though I still like the building phase more.

I've never loved decalling, since I can't seem to influence the process in any way. The decals are either rightly sized, printed or of good quality, or not, and that's about it. If they are oversized or translucent when they should not, there's not much you can do about it.

It's high praise for the Aviattic decals that after dinner I look forward to putting on a few bolts of lozenge decals, since they are very thin yet strong, have a great application manual, and actually work as advertised. On top of that, I really like the colours, too.
A thing or 2 I've found out: don't use too warm/hot water, since they'll shrink a bit and leave a white line on the join, and wait a few days before cutting the excess off. I've found a sharp hobby scissors works best for this. If they're not fully cured, they will stretch, but not cut. Could just be me, though! :)

Regarding the bolts vs joined, when I ordered these some years ago, Richard advised me the joined version was still in the works. Since I wanted to use it for fuselages and interiors, too, I went for the bolts since they are more flexible in use (but more work on wings as you can see!) My modelling budget is quite tight, otherwise I'd gotten both the joined sheet and the tailor made D.VII wing lozenges in 1/72 too.
If had the money to spend I'd gotten all needed sheets in 1/32 for my D.VII, as well. :)

Just finished most of the upper decals for this Albatros wing, pictures will follow when done. They're kind of an experiment, as I intend to use a light blue paint pen for the rib tapes.

Jeroen

WarrenD

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »
You've done great work my friend!  Also, thank you so much for offering up your personal experiences in working with these. I've never used any kind of lozenge decals before, so I'm trying to absorb all I can from others before I do.

Warren

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:49 AM »
Thank you Warren!
I get so much inspiration from here that the least I can do is offer something of my limited experience back... It isn't really difficult, just time-consuming, especially the rib tapes. I found a dark pink and light blue paint pen at the local art&craft store (I went looking for the four and five colour lozenge pens, but they didn't have those!  :P) with a very fine tip, and after some experimentation it seems it's a whole lot easier than using decals for rib tapes, especially the leading and trailing edges.
Some experimenting on a piece of leftover lozenge shows it works better on a flat surface, so they'll have to be flatcoated first. When I'm done I'll take some pictures and look up the type of pen I got...

In the meantime, the upper surfaces were finished, but not trimmed yet:

And trimmed and put next to the model -colourful indeed! ;-)

Hopefully my next report will be on the paint pen! :)

Jeroen

WarrenD

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »
Thanks, do tell us about the pen. I've had friends use the side of a paintbrush loaded with color, but very carefully, on the scalloped trailing edge. Looks great so far!

Offline radio

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 05:56:34 AM »
Great work Jeroen.
Cheers
Martin

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:31 AM »
Thanks, Warren and Martin :)

I did try the pen, and had mixed results. When I get the remaining shading done (hopefully this evening when the children are sleeping) I'll try to do a proper update this week!