Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII (OAW) and Albatros D.Va -> Jasta Raben  (Read 20270 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII (OAW) and Albatros D.Va -> Jasta Raben
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 05:28:40 AM »
It certainly appears to get some love, thank you everyone for your replies! :)
As for the 3-part Albatros wing, earlier this year I built the Encore/Roden Öffag Albatros with the same wing sprue. I built that wing (and this D.Va, too) by taping it to 2 straight files, (files sideways, so they can't flex and also just clear the radiator fore and aft), and pushing the leading edge to a steel ruler. Then I taped the whole thing fixed and glued with Tamiya Extra thin. Since the profiles don't quite match, there's no escaping filler and re-instating some rib details. Though I have to admit this one (which is the second) went better than the Polish Albatros, which needed more sanding/filling.

I had hoped to paint them both basic flat white, to be followed by gloss normal white, but I'm so tired after spending all afternoon learning our oldest boy (3 years + a few months) to learn ride his bicycle, I'm just too tired to get it done... hopefully tomorrow better luck, modelling-wise, as we had a lot of father-son fun this afternoon, and he's very close to cycling on his own now!
I'm really looking forward to seeing the models colour.

I've pretty much stuck to Roden kits as I know what to expect, and can get them locally. Eduard (for the D.Va) or MAC for the D.VIIs I can't get here. Though I have wondered what the MAC D.VIIs look like. I guess you can also call me a Roden fan -I'm still amazed by those thing, sharp trailing edges, beautiful engines, and fine rib- and access panel details. Most of their kits are fiddly, but not hugely difficult -except perhaps for the D.VII, which is close to being a dog of a kit. If it didn't look as nicely detailed as it does, it's probably not worth the effort...
Or wait until 2017 for the Eduard 1/72 D.VII :)

Not ready for it yet, but does anyone have a good pointer for Jasta 18 red?

Best regards,
Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 01:05:11 AM »
You are certainly making better progress than I am on some of my builds! I am attaching a link to a build blog of the Mac DVII from our 2014 Fokker DVII Group Build.

RAGIII

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3811.0

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 05:20:41 AM »
Thanks for that, RAGIII! I suppose it might be worthwile to kitbash a MAC Fokker fuselage with Roden engine/guns and wings/taiplanes! Getting the original parts to fit is probably equally bad...
And MAC has the proper version for Günther Von Buren's chicken-adorned Fokker, which was the one I was really after, but found out later Roden doesn't kit that version... (and the OAW mid I had wasn't right, too, hence the backdating)

Jeroen

Offline moustique

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »
very good job even if for me this scale is too small

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
I have to stay that's some serious modelling you've done there
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Thanks again, everyone! Unfortunately my new job (with the same company) kept me away from the bench, but hopefully.... some news soon.

Richard, how I wished for sized sets when I got my single bolts of Aviattic lozenge -cutting them into parallel strips to fit the wings of both is quite difficult. I can't seem to get the edges parallel enough so they fit gapless so far... :(

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 11:59:53 PM »
Well, not a complete update, but at least something to show I'm still working on those models. After putting in many extra hours for a project at work that is now finished (at least my part of it!) I was given a day off, so some great bench time while being alone at home. That's been a while... ;-) (and yes, I do love my wife and kids tremendously!)

Some time ago I got measurements from a Wingnut Wings Albatros that I converted to 1/72 to determine the strut lengths for the Albatros. The cabane struts were shortened by about 1mm, and everything cleaned up for primer. Lots of mould seams on very delicate parts, but I managed to keep them all in one piece.

The wing V-struts were apparently the correct length compared to the Wingnut kit.

Afer painting the whole models + loose parts flat white for coverage and then some gloss white, I found out I had somehow missed a few spots that needed some more sanding. So that was done:

The fuselage on the Roden D.VII somehow had a big fat sinkmark I'd missed in the side, and the bit behind the cockpit opening wasn't quite right, too.
They were then touched up with Revell Aqua acrylic gloss white, which was then polished (the only acrylic I manage to do that on!) to get rid of some imperfections and orange peel -only to reveal some more on the underside of the Fokker nose and near the tail skid of the Albatros! Unfortulately it appears the CA filling method does not really go together with the soft Roden plastic, so for the next I'll resort back to normal filler. Live and learn, I guess.

Then it was time for a fun job, masking the wing/fuselage ribs:

My intention is now to shade the white, then mask all of the white off, and then the red parts, then maks the "red" ribs and shade those. The green decals can hopefully be shaded with some dark pastels, as I'm afraid of masking over decals...

The entire Albatros top wing was also painted gloss white, both as an undercoat for the red, and to mask off the white cross panels. Those were masked temporarely to help with the rib masking. (still to be applied here)

I also scratch built an anemometer from a Toko Sopwith Strutter bomb, but even though it is massively overscale, my camera is unable to focus on it! Except for the mirror for the Albatros and the Oigee sight for the Fokker, that's pretty much it as far as scratch-building is concerned.
Hopefully I'll be able to finish masking this weekend and can start getting cramped fingers from all that shading getting airbrushed!

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 12:13:51 AM »
Your kits are progressing quite nicely! I am looking forward to seeing the shading underway!
RAGIII

Online IanB

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 01:05:24 AM »
Hi Jeroen,
 I still have the 2 spare fuselages that came with the MAC kit:

If either are the correct one for the version you were looking for let me know, I'll be happy to send it to you!

Ian

WarrenD

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »
Great progress!  (And I'm still working on your Fokker package. I have some time this weekend, hopefully I can get it in the mail. ;)  )

Warren

Offline moustique

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:14 PM »
very good job on these small ;D planes

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:00 AM »
Thanks everyone!
@Ian: thank you for your generous offer! As Warren already posted, he's working on a MAC package, so I think I'm pretty well covered in that regards pretty soon. Nonetheless, thank you again for your kindness :) BTW, did your MAC Fokker really come with 3 fuselage types? That's pretty amazing!

Spent five hours of masking the ribs and some of the white to prevent overspray, and just finished an hour worth of airbrushing. Obviously I'm not an airbrush master like some if you, but I had a fun time, even if I'm not 100% happy with some area's. (but then: am I ever 100% with a model?? :P ) At times like this I wonder why I ever started two models at the same time! :)
However, I can always mist some more white over it to tone it down, but I'll have a look first how it looks when all the red parts and lozenge is on. The things look quite naked now.
Fully masked and ready:

And after an hour of airbrushing, and another of peeling off al the tiny strips of tape:

Quite hard to take a proper picture, since it gets dark here at around 17:00.
BTW, I experimented with a mixture of white, some dark grey, and gloss varnish, but after some experimentation settled on 10 drops of Tamiya Gloss X-22, 2 drops of Smoke X-19 and 5-6 drops of X-20A acrylic thinner. I went over it 2 times for the normal alreas, and 4 times for the yet to be Lozenged surfaces to act as a preshading.

Now for the red parts!

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:38 AM »
Much masking and half an hour of painting later:

They look really toylike in gloss red and white...! When everything is completely dry/hardened I'll take care of some overspray here and there and very minor paint peel on the lower parts of the Fokker lower wing.
After that, on to shade the red fabric parts.

After some experimentation, I settled on Revell Aqua Ferrari red with a drop or 2 of black added to a full airbrush cup. They are unusually bright for my collection, normally I'm not really a massive fan of these gaudy schemes!

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »
Really nice painting on these two! The red and white are certainly striking schemes! I am looking forward to seeing your shading process.
RAGIII

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
VERY NICE WORK