Author Topic: French Map Rollers  (Read 3067 times)

Offline davecww1

French Map Rollers
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »
After some research about the French map rollers used in early Nieuports I found some interesting information and photos that I would like to post in one spot for future reference. 
First I will show the metal type, as I was able to find several good photos of this type, including photos of the map roller used by Vernon Castle, who flew Nieuport 17's in 1917.  The aluminum and celluloid cockpit maps were made for Aéronautique Militaire by S.F.A. — Service des Fabrications de l'Aéronautique.

Jean Louis Conneau, who designed this style of cockpit map case in 1911

Offline davecww1

Re: French Map Rollers
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
Here are some more photos of the S.F.A Aluminum map roller in use.
Maurice Farman 11

James McConnell and Raoul Lufbery view a map roller, this photo is dated 1917.

McConnell next to his Nieuport 11 with map roller

Another N.124 Nieuport 11 with map holder in clear view - note it is positioned at an angle.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
Another style of map roller was a wooden type, one is currently on display at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.  It was from the Voisin type 8 on display there.

This style is also shown in this post war photo of an American pilot in a captured SSW D.III

Offline davecww1

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »
Finally I have a couple of other photos of unknown style/aircraft that I found on the web.  Any info would be useful.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
Thanks very much Dave for all the photos, all very useful information.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline davecww1

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »
Interesting devices that must have been in wide use but are almost never modeled. I also have not found photos of these in German or British aircraft, wondering if they used them as well.  Still much to be learned about these devices.
Dave

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:14:58 PM »
Nice detective work Dave. 8)

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 12:48:16 AM »
Now that's what I call a complete post! Thanks for this to our "encyclopedia", Dave.....fascinating stuff and would indeed add a lot to a cockpit or diorama.

Interesting that you mention Vernon Castle. He and his wife, Irene, were a famous Broadway dance team whose life story was told in celluloid by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Sweet movie.....lots of dancing, as you'd imagine, but too few airplanes.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline davecww1

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »
Yes Michael, I found a website about Vernon Castle, this was the same guy that was a famous ballroom dancer with his wife before the war, but he joined the RFC, flew Nieuports in France and it appears that he was killed in a training accident in Texas in 1918. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_and_Irene_Castle