Author Topic: Colors for French Rudder (Blue & Red)  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Redcoat78

Colors for French Rudder (Blue & Red)
« on: October 12, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
Hi guys,
any advice for the correct Red & Blue colors of French rudder?
I am working on a Nieuport 17 and I would avoid to use decals on the tail.
Thank you
Simone
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:23:52 PM by Redcoat78 »

Offline Tomasz

Re: Colors for French Rudder (Blue & Red)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »
Simone,
on Nieuports red was typical for French aircraft of the era. Not a very vivid color, slightly shifting toward a color of a brick.
Blue however was different than that on Spads or Breguets, and was rather dark, somewhat similar to WW2 RAF blue.
Tomasz

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
Redcoat, Tomasz is right. There is a great series of articles across two issues of Windsock dealing with this, and other Nieuport colors. I'll try and get the volume and issue numbers for you this weekend.

HTH!

Warren

Offline davecww1

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »
Best way to show a color is to look at a color photo!  I have a couple of French autochrome photos which were taken in WW1 and are supposedly accurate color photos.  the first shows the Nieuport 11 in the 3 or 4 color camouflage, the rudder colors show the correct dark blue.  the other shows an aluminum doped Nieuport 17.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »
Nieuport 17

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
Thanks for posting those Dave, if you didn't, I was going to.

My apologies Redcoat78/Simone, I have been remiss on what I promised, but I was only able to clear my way into the mess that passes for my man cave (closet) and retrieve the Windsock issues I spoke of earlier.

They are:
- Vol. 23, No. 5, September/October 2007
- Vol. 23, No. 6, November/December 2007

Both of these issues are well worth looking up and obtaining for any Nieuport fan. Excellent two part article on Nieuport colors and the colors used on the rudder/roundels.

HTH!

Warren

Offline davecww1

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
Warren is correct, those articles have the most accurate color informations for early Nieuports.  Based on the information in the article I mixed up my own colors using craft store acrylics, basically a bright red and a little black, and also for the blue a royal blue with a little red to give it a slightly purple shade.  Here is how my interpretation of the color mix looks.  My red is a little too dark but the blue looks spot on.
Dave C

Offline xan

"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.