Author Topic: Your Very First WW-I Aircraft-What was It?  (Read 10041 times)

Offline IvotB

Re: Your Very First WW-I Aircraft-What was It?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
Searching my memory. I'm not 100% sure, but it must have been the Airfix 1:72 Sopwith Pup in the second half of the seventies. Either the Pup or the Avro 504 which was around thesame time. Before that time my models were mostly ww2 planes and my selection was mostly based on the number of parts in a kit. That time building was more important than the model.

regards,
Ivo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »
  My first WWI kit was the ancient Hawk SPAD XIII. Actually it was a Father and son,and mostly my Father.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ermeio

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
My very first plastic model was a WW1 Biplane
an olive green Revell Nieuport 17 in 72 which was enclosed in the first weekly issue of "Storia Dell'Aviazione". They gave some 40 models along the 120 issues needed to complete that enciclopedy - all Airfix series 1 and revell red box fighters.

My father decided to take a slow path in building that model, so he joined the two fuselage and left them to dry out, but the day after, when he pressed the cowl in place the fuselage was broken since the glue had beefed up the model.

It took more than a year for him before buying another plastic model for me.
In the meanwhile he bought some Edison die cast biplanes for me and this is how it all started...

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
My first WW1 model was a Revel DR.1.

My first ever model was an Airfix spitfire. On the couple of occasions when I've taken a lengthy break from modelling my comeback kit has always been an Airfix Spitfire.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 02:01:32 AM »
De-lurking 'cos I can't resist the memory lane thing. My first WWI kit was actually an Airfix dogfight double, the Bristol F2b and Fokker DrI. I still have the Biff top wing, and a couple from the triplane, so I can state with certaintly that I didn't paint the latter, but the Biff had Airfix silver paint slapped all over it. Must have been around 1965. The first thing I rigged OTOH was an Airfix Avro 504K, with black stretched sprue, in 1972 or 3. Still got most of that in a box somewhere except the top wing.

Paul.

Glad you decide to take the plunge Paul. Welcome aboard!  I'm a sucker for the "memory lane" thing myself.  ;)

Chuck

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 04:19:01 AM »
It was one of the Aurora  WW I planes either the D VII, Triplane or Ald. D-III. Like Des it was in the '50s...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
My first WW1 aircraft build is Eduards SSW D.III when it was first released in 95 . Second one was the Hannover .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »
Don't remember exactly which was first, but it was one of the Aurora or Hawk kits. Know I painted the Albatros D III all black of course and Fokker triplane all red even though plastic was red to begin with. They all eventually went down in flames with a dab of glue, a firecracker with shortened fuse and a match. It was in the mid 50's.

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »
Mine was the Revell Fokker Triplane in 72nd scale. That would have been 1982 or 83.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »
I came late to the party. My adventure with WW1 is now 9 yrs old, compared to overall 37 yrs of my modelling it is nothing. My first was this (Roden, Curtiss H.16 1/72)

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Thumbs up

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »
I came late to the party. My adventure with WW1 is now 9 yrs old, compared to overall 37 yrs of my modelling it is nothing. My first was this (Roden, Curtiss H.16 1/72)

Very nice too Prezy!

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 03:45:45 AM »
That would have been in the mid, or maybe even early, 1950s. I had fallen in with another nerd in grade school who insisted that we both buy a Guillows (?) balsa and paper airplane and build it in one day at his house. We did. It was a Fokker Dr.1 covered in red tissue paper. It was like smoking pot. Just led to more and more...
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
when i was young i built 1/72 tanks mostly. first ww1 plane which got me back into modelling as well as started on the path that led me here was the guillows fokker dr.1 balsa tissue model 1/12 scale in mvr 425/17 livery. i knew so little that i added a control panel thinking it must have had one.the gauges were hand painted.it broke a few years ago in a move. second and 1st plastic was an eduard 1/48 nieuport 17 followed by an eduard pfalz d.iii

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 09:18:50 PM »
SPAD VII, Airfix 1:72. Bought it for my pocketmoney (1,75 DM) at the local stationary-shop. Must have been in 1973. I was a schoolboy and had just read Gunther Plüschow's "Der Flieger von Tsing-Tao". Next book I read was Hans Baur's autobiography and I loved the chapter of his time as a Hannover Cl pilot with a bavarian artillery spotting unit: He managed to shoot down nine or so EA, once six SPAD in a single fight! I then was more than happy to find that Airfix had a Hannover Cl IIIa too. And a Roland C II! And an Albatros, a Sopwith Pup, Avro 504... I bought and built them all and there's still a deep feeling of home and happiness, when I think of all those weekends I spent diving into my Airfix catalogue...

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »
LOL WarrenD ! Ten, Twenty, Thirty or more the Bloody Red Baron shot'em down. That's a great spirit lifting trip down Memory Lane. I think I may still have that 45 somewhere.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"