Author Topic: Scratchbuilding  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Stampesv4c

Re: Scratchbuilding
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
Thanks for the info, I was looking at making sanding sticks and boards. 1/72 WWI aircraft certainly need some to get the detail right, think once I finish all my 1/72 models I will move on to 1/48 to make life a bit easier. 1/32 is a bit to expensive for me.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
One other thing. For concave surfaces, like a cambered wing's bottom surface, you can fix sand-paper with double-face tape to a large cylindrical bottle, or a short section of PVC pipe. Something about three or four inches in diameter is a good size, with something about an inch in diameter for finishing spots. I use a couple of emptied thousand-count ibruprophin bottles (I go through the stuff like candy sometimes) for the large size, and an emptied bottle of CA 'kicker' for the smaller size.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 05:53:34 PM »
1/32 is a bit to expensive for me.

It really isn't, you know. Yes, if you are buying kits 1/32 is expensive. If you are scratchbuilding then using a sheet of styrene for 1/72, 1/48 or 1/32 is exactly the same cost

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:57 PM »
Just to add to that, I have just bought the  balsa, styrene sheet and some wire for my 1:32 Nieuport Hydro. Far too much balsa because it comes in long lengths, so I have loads for the next models

£12.10

Richard

Offline Stampesv4c

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
One other thing. For concave surfaces, like a cambered wing's bottom surface, you can fix sand-paper with double-face tape to a large cylindrical bottle, or a short section of PVC pipe. Something about three or four inches in diameter is a good size, with something about an inch in diameter for finishing spots. I use a couple of emptied thousand-count ibruprophin bottles (I go through the stuff like candy sometimes) for the large size, and an emptied bottle of CA 'kicker' for the smaller size.
Thanks I had forgotten about that one.

Offline Stampesv4c

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »
1/32 is a bit to expensive for me.

It really isn't, you know. Yes, if you are buying kits 1/32 is expensive. If you are scratchbuilding then using a sheet of styrene for 1/72, 1/48 or 1/32 is exactly the same cost

Richard

Yes I was talking about 1/32 kits, have not actually got around to scratch building small models, used to design, draw up plans and build R/C scale models, got to expensive. Now breaking myself in and will get back to scratch building with a few more kits under the belt.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
I have more trouble with and abandoned more kits than anything else. If you have built RC you'll find scratch h building very natural

Richard