Author Topic: Scratchbuilding  (Read 5535 times)

Offline 15badcats

Scratchbuilding
« on: September 10, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »
After seeing some of Des's builds I'd like to try scratchbuilding Can I get some expert advice for a beginer ? Thanks for any help

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Scratchbuilding
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
To start with, here are the first few steps:

1) Research - Study as many photos as you can on your subject. The more views the better; inside, outside, top, bottom, front, back, sides.

2) Research  - Study as many drawings as you can find. Again, top, front, side, and detail views. Print out drawings scaled to the size of your actual model to use as templates.

3) Research even more now... Study other models of your subject to see how others have solved the problems of building a scale model of your subject.

4) By now you will have an idea how to approach building your model. Start with whatever part you feel the most comfortable with. This will build confidence and set the tone for your build.

I hope this helps get you started. :)

Cheers,
George

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »
When I started scratch building it was adding detail here and there , seat belts , throttles , plumbing . Simple stuff and I worked my way up from there . Next I was doing the fuselage structure and adding the bracing wires . followed by fuel and oil tanks , instrument panels . I do my on struts and wings , tail planes and so on .

Take your time and don't rush . Like George said , lot's of photo's and refs and don't work with one set of drawings . Have a few if you can .

Well stock of supplies . I use Evergreen products of rod and squared shape . Also sheets in different thicknesses . Wire from old electronics , copper wire etc etc .

There are many different methods , just have to find one which works for you . And most important ...Have fun !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
George hit the nail on the head - research.  I have found a lot of aircraft that I would like to scratch build but with little or no information available the project stopped before it even got off the ground. Finding detailed drawings or better still a good set of plans is the main stumbling block. Once you have suitable drawings it is time to scale them to what scale you are going to build in, make at least three copies of each plan. Surf the net and find as many photos of the aircraft that you can, original photos and restored/replica works, museum displays are a good source of information but not too many museums will spend the time to answer your emails. I always print out all the photos I can find and enlarge them to A4 size, these become crucial reference material especially when you want to add the finer details.

Evergreen strips and sheets are an excellent source of materials along with brass and aluminium sheet of various thickness, coke cans make a good source for aluminium sheet. Brass and aluminium tube is essential along with various sizes of copper wire, small diameter plastic pipe is also very useful. Different types of fillers and putty are very handy and a good supply of paints.

You will need a selection of modeling tools, these are items that are usually collected over years of modeling and depending on how involved you want to get with your build you may need a temperature controlled soldering iron, a Dremel and micro carbide drill bits., sanding sticks and needle files are also very important.

This is only a very quick list of what you may need, please feel free to contact me if you need any further advice.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Feel free to PM me if you need advise on any specific topic or method, I will be happy to help. ;)

It is rather difficult to give general hints, but definitely what George, Terri and Des have written is correct from A to Z.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Beto

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:32 AM »
Harry Woodman's book, "Scale Model Aircraft in Plastic Card" used to be the Bible for scratchbuilders, and I know it was available for free download somewhere, but can't find the link right now. Make a search, because it will give you lots of ideas, and is mainly focused on WW1 subjects. Fortunately I have it in real paper.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:16:28 AM »
you can find it online here

Offline Berman

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 05:51:57 AM »
Also recommended are two books by John Alcorn.  "Scratch Built" and the larger volume "The Master Scratch Builders".

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 11:17:06 AM »
Thanks for the replys I've ordered the mentioned books and I'm trying to decide on a plane to build I want to read through the books first but I definitly will do a float plane or flying boat

Offline Stampesv4c

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
This is not so much a scratch build question but I would like to see pictures of what sanding tools people have, eg sanding sticks, homemade would be good. Used to have all these tools years ago when I built R/C models but sold them all and now I have started again with WWI 1/72 and 1/48 models and just want to see what tools people have and what they use them for. I have a Dremel, temp controlled soldering iron, needle files, lots of paint brushes, airbrush and compressor, scalpel and assorted pliers, cutters and drill bits. Have to get some tweezers soon as using toothpicks to move stuff around is a pain. I did see some lockable ones. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »
I use a large hand file, needle files, assorted bits of wet and dry paper in various grades backed up by bits of flat or round wood, and finally a nail buffer block:

Mine come from Boots. They have different grades of grit on each side and have a soft backing. You can do anything from removing lots of plastic to making a high polish with them.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Have a look here, it will give you a general idea of what tools are needed for modeling, it doesn't cover everything but gives a good look at the tools I use, there is a photo of the sanding sticks I use   http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page16.html  I hope this helps.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »
Oh, and one more thing. I have lots of tools, they seem to gather around me. Of those lots of tools, I use the same half a dozen all the time, another ten occasionally and the rest infrequently if at all. Scratchbuilding is about imagination - in what you want from a model, in how the model will look and in how you achieve it. This applies as much to tools and techniques as anything else

Don't be put off by huge collections of tools other people have - you'll probably find they gather around you over time too. And you'll still use a few of them regularly, some infrequently and the rest not at all

Richard

Offline Old Man

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
Regarding home-made sanding sticks....

I get ordinary wooden yard-sticks from the hardware store, cut them into 9 inch lengths, and attached a 6 inch strip of sand-paper with double-face tape. The yard-sticks are about an inch wide, and about an eighth of an inch thick. Any grit of paper can be used. I mostly employ these for major shaping, so it is usually heavy grits. There is no 'give' to the surface, so they keep things straight and level. I often use 'salon boards', the foam sanding sticks sold for manicure work --- since these have 'give' and flex a little too, they will ted to put a little curve in. Often, but not always, desirable.

Dowel of various diameters an be used to get round sanding sticks. Cover one end in double-face tape, wrap a bit of sand-paper tightly down onto the sticky surface.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 04:53:00 AM »