Author Topic: Eduard Oeffag DIII - Werner Voss  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Brez

Eduard Oeffag DIII - Werner Voss
« on: September 07, 2015, 01:06:31 AM »
Hello all, just finished this,
    a little bit of explanation, I had toyed with the idea of fixing the flying surfaces, struts and undercart from the new(ish) Austrian DIII to the old(er) Eduard Albatros DIII fuselage, but because of possible wing alignment problems and because the Oeffag fuselage matched Martin Digmayer's plans in the Albatros DIII Windsock special, and because I'd have to rescribe the panel lines anyway I used the whole thing. In fact all that I used out of the old kit was the top of the engine cowling back to just behind the cockpit combing, the prop and some of the internal bits in the cockpit.

All the hatches, louvres, radiator, fitting etc. are from the Eduard etch set for the DIII, the decals are by Lifelike except the lovely gold Aviattic logos from Pheon's Pfalz D.XII sheet.

Rescribing and plastic card German style wing fairings and Jasta Boelcke louvres.

Interior, the engine's a Vector, good but extra work on the exhaust.

Well that's it. Like every other kit I've stuck together, there's a dozen or more things I wish I'd done differently and a dozen or more things I wish I hadn't done at all! Ask anything you like except "why didn't you just build the original DIII kit instead of all that mucking about", cause I don't know the answer  :)

Thanks for looking,

Tony.

Offline Thumbs up

Re: Eduard Oeffag DIII - Werner Voss
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:19:58 AM »
I think you have made all that mucking about pay off handsomely!I must say that I've had sleepless nights agonizing over 1 degree of dihedral.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 01:41:50 AM »
    You've done a magnificent job on this one, Tony! I really like the "muted" colour effect, it really presents this classic colour scheme well. As Thumbs Up has indicated that's pretty talented mucking about, very nice Albie! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:43:15 AM »
Truly remarkable conversion, Tony, and well worth the effort, I think.  The result is one seriously magnificent D.III.  Seems I'm always following your lead on projects and this will be no exception. 
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:21:18 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:28:35 AM »
 A wonderful representation of a famous machine. As Thumbs Up has written, all that mucking about was well worth the effort. Congratulations on an excellent model.

Stephen.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 02:30:24 AM »
  Tony,
Outstanding conversion project my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 03:03:23 AM »
I really like what you done with your conversion, Tony! Beautiful finish all around!!

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
I see no reason to criticise this model at all, you have done a superb job with the conversion with the result of a model that looks brilliant. The overall finish on this model is excellent with great looking decals and very well executed rigging, congratulations on a job well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dtomko

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
What a great conversion!  Really brings life to the D.III.  Very nicely done.

Drew

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
great idea. it had never occured to me to convert the new oef albatros to a german one. i have a handful of each type of eduards kits so i may have to try this.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Beautiful conversion work! One of my favorite Albatros schemes of all time and you have nailed it!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brez

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:39:10 AM »
Thank-you guys, I enjoyed doing this one a lot. It's a simple conversion, even more so if you don't replace the engine and has the added bonus of not having to find replacement wheels.

A CAUTION
 I forgot to mention the rigging material on this build.
 I used fluorocarbon instead of my normal monofilament line. It's strong and flexible, but if it's a bit slack you can't use the old heat trick to tighten it. I won't be using it again.

Cheers,
Tony.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:23 AM »
Nothing wrong with the build Tony . You did a wonderful job on the conversion  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline vincentm

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
One of the best renditions I've seen of this best-known bird. Beautiful wood effect on the fuselage.

Offline IanB

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
Very nicely done indeed and I love that colour scheme. Top marks!

Ian