Author Topic: HpH 1:32 scale resin Macchi M.5  (Read 38566 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
HpH 1:32 scale resin Macchi M.5
« on: July 05, 2015, 06:48:33 PM »
I have decided to build a kit this time taking a break from scratch builds. The Macchi M.5 has been a favorite aircraft of mine ever since I first saw it, a truely beautiful looking aeroplane.

I have decided to build the engine first. The crank case is very well cast with pretty good details, apart from the casting block no other clean up was needed. The cylinders are also well done, some fine sanding was required but nothing major, the valve springs are well cast and don't need replacing.

A full build log can be found here;  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page52.html

My first obstacle came when trying to fit the rocker assembly to the top of the cylinders, the main boxes did not align with the valve springs. To rectify this I cut off each of the boxes then drilled a 2.0mm hole through the centre of each one, I then inserted a length of 2.0mm brass rod. After sitting the assembly on top of the cylinders and aligning the boxes I fixed them with CA.

The PE set contains the three rocker arms, when bent to shape and fitted to the rocker assemble it did not look at all like the real engine, I will be modifying this totally to make it look more the part.

I glued the cylinder bases and the cylinders onto the crank case, crank case has been painted with Humbrol No, 56 aluminium. I used 5 minute epoxy to fix these parts, it gave me those few minutes to make sure everything was sitting in their correct positions, slight adjustments were needed. The cylinder bases and the top of the cylinders have been painted with Mr Metal color Dark Iron while the water cooling jackets have been painted with a mix of Mr Metal color Brass and Stainless.

These photos show the modified rocker arm assembly, I utilised some parts of the PE set but made the remainder from lengths of brass tube and 0.5mm resin bolts, these simulate the adjusting bolts. I painted the rockers with Stainless paint and when dry buffed them lightly. The exhaust pipes are the kit supplied resin parts held with CA.

This will not be a fast build, I am still battling a severe chest infection so progress will only be when I am able to sit at my bench, but I have to admit, modeling is good medicine  :) :)

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

Re: HpH 1:32 scale resin Macchi M.5
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
Great work to the engine, Des.
Martin

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
Nice start, Des. The engine is looking great!

George

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
    Great subject Des, simply a beautiful aircraft. I'm looking forward to watching this one come together, and nice work on the engine. In the interim get plenty of rest and use the bench time as a "bonus" course of therapy! ;)
Cheers,
Lance
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:29:11 AM »
It is spectacular as ever, Des
All the best for this new project

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:17:58 AM »
Brilliant work on the engine, Des!  This is gonna be a fun build to follow!  Hope your feeling better soon.

Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:00:28 PM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »
Excellent details Des  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »
i hope you start feeling better soon, it is miserable when you are sick. i am certain this will be a great model when you finish.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
Hoping to get you back to the working bench in full health I'll follow this build with much interest!

Antonio

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
Hope you are feeling better, Des.  The engine on your new
build is coming along beautifully.  I see you haven't totally given
up on the scratch building this time. ;) ;D  Good work, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Verbeek

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »
Get better, we want to see more! :)
Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:06:50 AM »
Great work on the engine, I'm already enjoying following this :)
I'm sure the end result will be gorgeous

Mark

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »
I need to thank all these people for leaving such wonderful comments - Martin, George, Lance, Ermeio, Bud, Terri, Scott, Antonio, Ernie, Verbeek, Michael, Bo and Mark, your very kind comments are much appreciated.

I made and fitted the water pipes on one side of the engine, this will be connected to the radiator. I also fitted the inlet manifold, it does not line up very well with the inlet ports in the cylinders, I had to extend one of the pipe by 2mm. I also made and fitted the spark plugs and the ignition leads which run into the home made ignition lead tube. I have ordered Bo's magnetos as none are supplied with the kit, I still need to add more plumbing and throttle levers to the carbs. Even though the kit engine is quite nice it is missing a lot of essential elements.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:16 PM »
Outstanding engine, Des.
Martin

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:47:25 PM »
Great work, Des!

I'm sorry to hear about the short comings of the engine. As exposed as it is, that parts are not properly supplied with the kit seems pretty unforgivable.

Bo...you picking up on this?

I and my m8 drawing up an engine from factory scale drawings.

Ron