Author Topic: SE.5a Walk-Around  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
SE.5a Walk-Around
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
This is one of the few surviving SE.5a's displayed at the Johannesburg War Museum. This aircraft was one of the Imperial gifts given after WW1 and became part of the beginning of the SAAF. The photos are supplied by Eric Cook, many thanks to Eric.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: SE.5a Walk-Around
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
Really some great photo references here. I note a lot of differences in the layout/configuration of the cockpit from the Refs I used on a recent build; does anyone have any insight into the background/accuracy of this airframe?? I know the only rule of 'being sure" on such things is we're "never sure" so there is rarely one correct answer.
  That being said wonderful photo work and Thanks for the  posting. This is really great stuff!
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
I'm a big fan of images that concentrate on rigging points as they are extremely useful to me, so I'm pleased to see these.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if they could look under that paint and find what colour PC10 was ;)

RB,
     WHAT!!!!  That would take all the fun out of it....................and then (other then the colour of Voss's F1 cowling) what on earth would be left to debate! Come to think of it you may have started something,........................
Cheers,
Lance :) ;)

Offline bjgsar

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »
Being a Newby I have been scouting about the forum and was very pleased to see some images of the SE5a restored here in South Africa.
I may be able to cast some light on the various comment as I was involved with the restoration on part time basis.
The actual aircraft was the last of the 22 SE5a's to survive, after withdrawal from the SAAF it went to a technical college as an instructional airframe where it stayed until the late 1940's when it was transferred to the then new SA National War Museum. It was hung up in the roof of the main hall where it stayed until brought down in the late 1990's. The aircraft was in fair condition but the heat in the roof had dried it out and it was very brittle. Which actual aircraft it is we were never able to establish but could have been F7781 or 3, these numbers were about the last found on SAAF returns.
Most of the wood was retained although it was very weak. At the time the aircraft was overall silver doped which may have helped to preserve it. When originally delivered they flew in standard RAF finish and markings. The SAAF adopted its own four colour roundel which was first applied straight over the RAF roundels, RAF numbers were retained later the SAAF allocated its own numbers but the PC10 finish was retained , at this stage some repainting probably took place. Later silver was applied with metal panels in black. The four colour roundel was retained but later gave way to a RAF type 'A' type roundel but with orange instead of red in the center, the colours of the then SA flag.
During restoration little PC10 was found, the wings where most likely recovered when the silver finish was applied. To save time and money the silver finish was left and the 'new' PC10 applied over it and buff colour to the undersides. The PC10 that was found was very close to the Methuen references on the green side rather than the brownish/olive so that was matched. I will post a few in service photos.
I have about 70 similar photos to those already here too many to add but if anyone would like copies please make contact and i can copy the onto a CD.
Hope this was of use.

Regards
Bruce

Offline bjgsar

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
Another view of the silver finish

Offline bjgsar

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
The PC10 colour scheme not a great photo but few are about