Author Topic: Luftstreitkräfte... Somewhere on the Western Front (under construction)  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Evening, chaps!

Some time ago I started a diorama to go alongside my RFC/RNAS dio, but I was never happy with the hangar and so scrapped it.
I've used the same base but new buildings this time and have designed it so that shots can be taken from either side to show either single-seaters, or 2-seaters.

The 2-seater hangar:

Obviously this just as low-relief building as I don't have the space to model the full length hangar.

The single-seater hangar.

It is based on what should be a 4-bay hangar but I have had to shorten it to 3 in order to get it to fit.

Both buildings are made using card shells with thin plyood outers, which have had the planks scribed on by hand.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:53:20 AM by Squiffy »

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Progress...

A fuel cart, made from scraps of plastic rod, brass wire, a proprietary oil barrel and a pair of wheels from a beaching cart for a seaplane.

Hangar 4, now with door in place and ladder and roof walkway to observation post. On the post is a wind sock and a telescope.

Fighter hangar, now with doors.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Very, very fine work, Squiffy!  This is gonna be one hell of an airfield when finished.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
You have made excellent progress with this diorama Squiffy, I like watching how you incorporate each stage of the build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

Really nice work on the Hangars and groundwork! The fuel cart is excellent also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KitRookie37

Hello gentlemen,
Good work, it looks exactly like pictures (I've just seen during 100 years anniversary of Tours military base conference) of Tours in 1917.
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.