Author Topic: 1:35 MiniArt German Tramcar 641  (Read 5095 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1:35 MiniArt German Tramcar 641
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
I seem to have missed this update. Looking terrific to date!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 12:24:40 AM »
Thank you!

I have done a bit more since - but no pics yet - such as some of the frameworks under the floor, plus the oils for the wooden bench seats.

Loads of sprue attachments to clean up - a bench seat panel or a beam for the frame work can have 12-18 attachments each!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
Great update Ian, the drivers cab looks fantastic.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
In recent times I have done much more of the underside assembly and framework.  Much is still to come, especially the wheel assembly that sits centrally, but if that goes on now it may be too delicate whilst putting the bodywork together etc.

I glued the seats on - I am not happy that they sit correctly and may get in the way of the side panels.  I'll prise the seats off, tidy up the glue marks on the floor and touch up the paint etc, then re-assemble once the sides are on.

I prepared and painted all the body panels and doors, cream interior and upper half outside. then masked up for spraying the green.  The green is a little lighter to the PC10-ish colour on the box, but isn't too bad and may not be historically accurate but looks ok.  There are a few leaks where the green came through but touching up will correct that.  There is a darker green dividing line to paint at the bottom of the windows so any uneven-ness between the green/cream paint on adjacent panels will be hidden.

A few of the window frames are very delicate and have broken, but the breaks are clean.  Rather than glueing now, I will repair when I put in the window plastic and/or assemble the panels together.

I have also done the wood paint for the interior panels and doors, and the oils are now dry.  The references are inconclusive as to how much of the interior is in cream or varnished wood, so I will use artistic licence.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
Looking terrific! Although I am not familiar with the particulars of the tram car, the green and beige look perfect together so they must be spot on!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 02:11:42 AM »
Thanks Rick,

In Europe especially, trams wore all sorts of liveries in different towns and cities - people would recognise where they were from by the colours.  A colour plus cream/white was a frequent combination and carried on through the 20th century with busses.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »
Your work on the tram so far Ian is excellent, this is a really interesting subject and I look forward to seeing more updates.

Des.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
This is back on..  After a long time off, I did a bit more tonight.. I had had to disassemble this once due to not going together properly.

There are too many broken parts as the plastic is brittle, and one of the windows has fallen out, after I put the roof on...

This won't be my best work, and I could do better a second time, but this takes too long and I want to complete this, as best I can, and build an aircraft again.

Although the kit and my build has issues, I quite pleased with the "undercarriage"..

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 05:18:40 PM »
Saw this thread only today: Great topic, beautifully built! Thanks for sharing. Wonder whether I should get MiniArts new offering of this kit with tracks, bench, passengers etc., especially as there are decals for a Munich version!
Richard

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »
Thanks Richard, the model actually looks ok from a distance!  I may be over critical but there are loads of snags..

There are many thin parts like handles, window rails etc that are thin rods which are not only brittle but have far too many sprue attachments and they break too easily.  I replaced many items with brass tube retaining only the end moldings.

But nonetheless, I would recommend this kit.  600 plus pieces means a LOT of patience is required..

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »
Saw this thread only today: Great topic, beautifully built! Thanks for sharing. Wonder whether I should get MiniArts new offering of this kit with tracks, bench, passengers etc., especially as there are decals for a Munich version!
Richard

I just had a look at the Mini Art website, the one you are referring to looks like a re-box of this one with extra decals, paint schemes, and the passengers etc.

I would seriously get this again, especially with those different schemes, in order to do a better job.  But I wouldn't have the time with 40 odd kits in my stash!

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 03:19:02 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Ian. Well, Christmas isnot far, so there's hope..!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 03:50:08 AM »
I can understand why you can see the mistakes Ian, but from where I am sitting that looks to be an excellent model to me and one which I would be proud of.

Stephen.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »
Excellent model Ian.  Wow the new boxing has 10 figures, awesome.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 05:28:54 AM »
Great to see this one finished Ian and you have done a superb job with the build, this has ended up being a really nice looking model and one that I will probably purchase sometime soon.

Des.