Author Topic: 1:35 MiniArt German Tramcar 641  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

1:35 MiniArt German Tramcar 641
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
Here is my next build - of the same model as in the link http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/2765-135-miniart-german-tramcar-641

I have had a good look at the parts (over 600) which seem to be decent quality, and the instructions whilst appearing complicated, look thorough.   The paint call outs are not so clear, however it doesn't seem beyond the realms of imagination to paint everything on the undersides various shades of grey/black with metallic highlights and dirt/rust weathering.  Anything interior that is wood gets the oil treatment, or the interior paint colour.  I have not found any reference pics yet of the real interior.

Another link to a similar kit (different version ) is here http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/miniart/ma38001.html#build - thanks to a forum user hiddeous1973 (I think)

This thread was accidentally lost when the forum had some server issues as explained by Des.

Hoping to start cutting plastic tonight.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:24:14 PM by Ian from Doncaster »

Re: 1:35 MiniArt German Tramcar 641
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »
Made a start tonight, was hoping to jump ahead to some of the later assemblies but actually completed instruction processes 1 and 2 (out of 54).

This was to assemble the 4 footsteps that fit to the underside each beneath an entry door.  The plastic is quite fragile, some of the step decorative molding broke - however all clean breaks easily put back together.  At the side of each step is a bracket, only about 1.5mm cube overall dimensions, which later forms an attachment point for the leaf spring suspension.  I dropped 2 of these but found them both before they were lost to the carpet monster.

This is not going to be easy, but experience with WWI models has taught me patience - not enough yet, but enough to handle a kit like this, just. 

First lesson - clean up the sprue trimmings immediately after separating each component from the sprue.  There are many component attachment lugs that are the same size and shape as the sprue trimmings, so it is a potential risk to remove the wrong bits.  No mistakes yet.  The floor panel undersides have at least 20 places where the mold was attached, looking like little cylinders that need trimming off.  The underside assemblies are made of many small pieces so this tidy up is essential next.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »
Excellent Ian, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together, it looks to be a very detailed kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:20:42 AM »
600 parts! Yikes!

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »
Having tidied up the huge ejector extrusions on the undersides of the floor sections, I primed the components and sprayed the underside humbrol gunmetal.  This doesn't give a metallic finish, but has enough of a matt surface to take weathering powders.  The colour call out is for black, but I think that is too stark.  I can blacken the finish, add dirt and rust, with powders.  I can drybrush a metallic effect where needed.

The top side of the floor calls for the metal painted black again, with wood strips.  I painted the lot black first, then with a covering spray of humbrol metalcote steel.  When dry, I masked off the non-wood areas, sprayed a sand colour then brushed over with oils.  Then I removed the masks and attached the little ratchets (part of braking control?) at each end where the driver would go.  Floors now in the cabinet for the oil to dry.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »
Beautiful job with the wood Ian.

Des.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »
Looks great Ian! Terrific start!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »
The wood looks great and the metal is just the right shade of black with nice variation of tones. The pigments give a good effect!

George

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:59:08 PM »
Thank you :)

Sometimes I have a problem with modelling in that I am looking to take the finish a little further, with extra weathering etc - however there comes a time to know when to stop and leave well alone.  Fortunately here the floor masking for the wood was straightforward and I am happy with the dark colour for the floor.  So apart from a seal of varnish when the oils are dry, I won't try and weather this floor.  This does mean that the model will represent a nearly new vehicle, so logic says to go easy on the external weathering and underside rust etc.

The front of the floor shows some unusual semicircular markings.  This is not the paint, this is the underlying plastic itself, where the molding process has left a different surface appearance - not texture though - but from another angle this can't be seen.  That portion of the floor will mostly be hidden by the driver's station.

I won't be too busy with photos on this log as it is in off topic, just significant milestones in the build.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 11:30:12 PM »

I won't be too busy with photos on this log as it is in off topic, just significant milestones in the build.

Yes, it's not an airplane, but I would love to see a complete build log with photos as IanB has done with his Airfix Blower Bentley.

George

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »
Thank you George - I will see what I can do!

Not much more progress yet - I have started preparing some of the underfloor frame components - of which there are many and duplicated for each end of the tram!  The pleasing news is that the fit seems quite good, with positive locations for the locating tabs etc.  I have noticed also that the colour call outs for some of the frames asks for a dark green, probably to match the livery of the body?  I have seen some reference pics where the frames do have a green finish, so may drybrush some RLM 71 over the relevant components later.  I think this pic is too green - perhaps this has been freshly restored in the museum - I favour a darker more worn effect for the model.

edit:  I have seen more of the reference pics with more differences in finish.  Sometimes the interior floor is also painted green, others bare wood.  Some of the interior structure is shown as wood, or in the cream colour.

I think I will use artistic licence to paint the model!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:25:48 PM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 02:54:29 AM »
I like the bare wood you've already painted on the floor, even if the real thing was painted green. I vote for you to keep the wood, not that this is a democratic process. 8)

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
Excellent photo of the "undercarriage" Ian, this should be a great reference source for you.

Des.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »
Excellent photo of the "undercarriage" Ian, this should be a great reference source for you.

Des.

Yes indeed, I have found a few sources of images and some of them conflict.  I believe the above image is part of a set relating to the original vehicle that has clearly been museum restored or renovated, to the state it is in here. 

Interestingly enough, the colour for the green part of the body (for the model, not necessarily the musuem pics) may be a suitable PC10, given that there is huge debate over that-  so I will see what it is like in the flesh, so to speak..

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 03:24:21 AM »
Made a start on the driver cabs, with the controls and supporting structures.  There are a few additions to do, such as a set of tools that hang on the right hand panel.  I think - but am far from certain - that the central control is a regulator for speed and the right hand control may be the brake? 

Edit - I think that is for the hand brake (parking brake) - there is a tube to link the handle to the ratchet mechanism on the floor, and also the inverted U shape tube appears to be a simple lock to hold this handle in place.

I used a bit of variation on the blackened metal tones, and painted the control handles brass.

The assemblies are dry fitted to the floors for the pics only.  Fit looks good so far.  I am impressed with the kit (some delicate parts broke but were readily fixed) and for around US $50 looks to be great value.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:23:18 PM by Ian from Doncaster »