Author Topic: Now the real work begins.......  (Read 15296 times)

Offline JoeDxMB

Re: Now the real work begins.......
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »
All I could find in the US on line  of the Maxima Chameleon was listed in inches of dia. I did some  some conversions and none equeled  .12mm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:55:03 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
Joe,
 For 1:32 Scale  I use up to 4 pound test maximum which is .008 inches or .20mm. Smaller is better, I think any 3 or better still 2 pound test mono you can find would work and appear well. I'm presently in the process of some on-line ordering of supplies and Bass Pro Shop appears to be a great source.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:56:08 AM by lcarroll »

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
Joe,
 For 1:32 Scale  I use up to 4 pound test maximum which is .008 inches or .20mm. Smaller is better, I think any 3 or better still 2 pound test mono you can find would work and appear well. I'm presently in the process of some on-line ordering of supplies and Bass Pro Shop appears to be a great source.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks, that helps.  :)

BTW, like  I said, this model has become sort of a test bed for (new to me) materials and methods etc and I probably gave up on the EZ Line too soon.
So, I tried it again and had much  better success with it  after I learned how to use it.  I got the .003 line and it does semm to be in scale for 1/48.

However, I'm definately getting  some monofiliment and the Maximum Chameleon does seem to be a good choice.  I just found good US supplier that sells  all sizes of it.
http://www.fishusa.com/Maxima-LeaderTippet-Spools_p.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:02:38 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
Seems like you have located an outlet for the appropriate line, here is a picture of what I purchase from my local fishing supply shop.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm in the US and use Berkley Trilene 2lb test . It's listed as .005" (0.13mm).  I'm sure your local fishing supply shop will have it, that's where I bought mine (in cape Cod, MA)

Ian

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 03:14:14 AM »
Seems like you have located an outlet for the appropriate line, here is a picture of what I purchase from my local fishing supply shop.

Des.

Yesterday, I ordered some of the .005"/.12mm as you pictured  and also some of the .007".
Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:16:57 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »
I'm presently in the process of some on-line ordering of supplies and Bass Pro Shop appears to be a great source.

Just a suggestion Lance, but I think you'll find that Cabela's has cheaper shipping costs to Canada than Bass Pro does. It might be worth while comparing the two.

On the downside, I just checked with Cabela's where I've bought all of my Maxima Chameleon monofilament and they no longer seem to stock the 2lb test. Bummer.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
FWIW, the vendor I posted  ships internationally...... they already shipped my order and wished me "happy fishing"  ;D

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »
FWIW, the vendor I posted  ships internationally...... they already shipped my order and wished me "happy fishing"  ;D

Thanks for the tip. I'll check there.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 06:53:45 AM »
I  got the Maima Chameleon line today and it does  seems like a great choice. Thanks  Des for your recomendation. :)

It also   seems like a great  visual match for the EZ line so it can be used with it depending on the application.
So, on the Avro I used the EZ- line  for the wing rigging (almost done) and  will use the Maxima for the (easier to rig)  undercarriage and tail  where both areas could use a bit of extra support.

BTW, I learned to use and take advantage of the elastic properties of the EZ line instead of fighting it...... making it work for me. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:46:55 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
I'm presently in the process of some on-line ordering of supplies and Bass Pro Shop appears to be a great source.

Just a suggestion Lance, but I think you'll find that Cabela's has cheaper shipping costs to Canada than Bass Pro does. It might be worth while comparing the two.

On the downside, I just checked with Cabela's where I've bought all of my Maxima Chameleon monofilament and they no longer seem to stock the 2lb test. Bummer.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris,
     I didn't type what I was really trying to say.....there is a huge Bass Pro Shop less then 5 KMs from my Daughter's place on the north outskirts of Calgary and that's where I'll be looking. By coincidence a fellow I met at the Western Regionals last month just mailed me 4 partial spools of the product he uses, "Dai-Riki" in 3.5 lb. (.005mm), 2.4 lb. (.004), 1.75 lb. (.003) and .94 lb. (.002) so I'm probably good for a while. I think this stuff is more used for fly tying (can you elaborate Flyjunkie?) and believe he got it at Bass Pro. By comparison the Berkley Trilene 4 lb. I use is .008 mm and is the lightest I can find locally. Not much call for the smaller weights up here when you are dealing with 20 lb Pike and even bigger Lake Trout!
    I have a couple of spools of EZ Line but frankly was scared off by its "floppiness", I'll have to try it as some folks here get really impressive results with it. Can anyone tell me how to get it threaded through a brass tube/turnbuckle?? ???

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 12:45:02 AM »
.....there is a huge Bass Pro Shop less then 5 KMs from my Daughter's place on the north outskirts of Calgary and that's where I'll be looking.

Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for at Bass Pro Lance. Pepperman42 was going to look at the Bass Pro just north of Toronto to see if they stock Maxima Chameleon in 2lb test but I don't know if he found it or not. You out there Steve?

I found three spools of it on e-Bay so I'll never run out at my building pace.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 03:55:30 AM »
I rigged the tail section with the Maxima Chameleon (2lb/.005) and I really like it . It's very easy to work with and looks great. Thanks for the help. :)

BTW, I know it does not look perfect but, like I said, it has become a  sort of a  test bed for future models and no eyelets,  etc were used. I needed a model to get back into modeling after being absent from it for many decades.    However, to the naked, eye,  it does not look too bad. :) 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:57:15 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:42 AM »
The rigging looks great, Joe.  You picked an extraordinarily difficult model to rig for your first foray back into WWI modeling.  After this, anything else you do will be a breeze.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
Be careful Joe! Rigging can become an obsession.

Nice job!

Cheers,

Chris