Author Topic: Now the real work begins.......  (Read 15299 times)

Offline JoeDxMB

Now the real work begins.......
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:15:54 AM »
This is basically  my Avro biplane so far.
The engine is not completely finished  and not glued in place yet.

Next is the nigthmare of installing  the top wings and all those stuts (making shure everything lines up) and rigging . I decide to do all the  top side rigging before installing the fragile undercarriage with its own rigging.
I  will be using EZ line. Anyone have any advice/hints  on using that?

BTW, I did find a great  a photo of an Avro "D" that actually did have the fuselage covered as the model depicts.

After this I wiil start  on my Morane Sauliner A-1. :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:43:59 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Now the real work begins.......
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
This is a very interesting subject you have chosen, it will build up to be an impressive model. What scale is it?

Sorry, I can't give you any advice on using EZ line, I always use monofilament for my rigging, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who have used the EZ line and can give you some advice.

Des.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:28:13 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
It's an old Pyro 1/48 kit purchased on e-Bay . The same person was also selling a pyro 1/48 Bleriot kit and I got that too.
The Bleriot kit does depict an uncovered fuselage (that must be rigged)  but at least it only has one wing to rig. :)

I just installed  the four outboard  stuts in the center  section and it was much  easier that I though it would be . After carefully preparing  the  struts for a proper length and conical end, they basically just snapped  into place and a tiny drop  of CA secured them. It makes  a solid assembly to secure the top ouboard sections to. 

These old Pyro kits are only moderately detailed but, the parts  fit together very well and have minimal  flash and ejector pin marks .  They both should build to into interesting models however.

EDIT.........
I installed all the struts and they all went in effortlessly, The whole assembly is all in perfect alingment , to the naked eye at least. It is  certainlty sturdy enough on its own.  I will keep the lack  of "strength" of EZ line in mind for future builds

Like I said,  the parts of these old  these old Pyro kits fit together  very well. It's a shame that  they stopped being produced decades ago  as no one else ever modeled  them in 1/48 or 1/32 kits that I'm aware of.  If you see one for sale, grab  it.   
Anyway, the Avro is amost   done and just needs the undercarriage and rigging (no small chore) and  minor engine detailing, etc.
I  wiil post a pic of it when finished .

BTW, I got the Special Hobby Morane Sauliner A-1 kit out last night and I can't wait to start it but, will use a bit of will power and finish the Avro first which  may be in about 2 weeks or so. :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:09:22 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
I endorse Red Baron's remarks about EZ Line. It has a flattish profile and tends to twist around on itself. Unless you are very careful when using it, you can end up with a rigging wire that has a noticeable twist to it.

Many use monofilament anchored with superglue. My preference is to use real wire glued with either super glue or PVA white glue. Fine electrical wire ( fuse wire) of say 5amps is good for 1/48th aircraft. Use a flat metal ruler and roll the wire on a glass/shiny smooth surface until it is rigid. I use an old set of school dividers to measure the distance between rigging points, then hold them against the rolled ( taut) wire and cut the wire to length. Then some glue at the attachment points ( after a dry run test fit!) and then place the rigging wire in position. Being real wire it helps add some strength to the model too.

There are many rigging techniques around and this is just one. Everyone eventually finds what works best for them so trial and error is the way to go. My main advice is not to regard EZ Line or any other stretchy line products as the only rigging option around.

I use 5amp fuse wire for 48th scale and 8amps (slightly thicker wire) for 1/32 scale models. As well as electrical suppliers, craft stores often have small rolls of wire in different gauges.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
I did not realize the EZ line was not round as I never used it before .  I just looked at mine with my loupe and it is indeed "flat"so, I wil keep that  in mind.

I  deceided to try EZ line mainly   due to the amount of rigging on the Avro and the fact that I never  fully rigged a model before. I'm not using any sort of eyelets etc on it.
Keep in mind that this is my first model in many years. It's become sort of a test bed for many things that are new to me.

I might try monfiliment and eyelets on the  on the Morane Sauliner. :)   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:20:09 PM by JoeDxMB »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
looks good so far, i have the whole set of the pyro kits, the only one ive completed is the martin handasyde. it turned out well though as i took 2nd place with it at my local ipms contest. i'm still trying to figure out a viable way to rig my bleriot fuselage. its too small to drill out and i think it will weaken it anyway. i'm thinking of stretching so black sprue to .1mm ish and maybe glue it in place in sections?

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »
  Joe,
Excellent progress to date my friend. I'm looking forward to following this Classic's build.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
looks good so far, i have the whole set of the pyro kits, the only one ive completed is the martin handasyde. it turned out well though as i took 2nd place with it at my local ipms contest. i'm still trying to figure out a viable way to rig my bleriot fuselage. its too small to drill out and i think it will weaken it anyway. i'm thinking of stretching so black sprue to .1mm ish and maybe glue it in place in sections?

I know what you mean about the Bleriot. I had the same thougts about how to rig the fusalage when I first opened the kit.
I was thinking maby some sort of thread saturated with white glue (which dries clear) to stiffen it, then  cut into sections and glued in place. I will have to experiment with that .
Stretched sprue is a bit too fragiile for my sometimes  clumsy hands .  :)

Here's an updated pic.... rigging is next. 
BTW, the rudder and tail skid has been painted, etc and is ready to be glued into place right before I rig the tail.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:33:42 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline contact 123

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »

Like I said,  the parts of these old  these old Pyro kits fit together  very well. It's a shame that  they stopped being produced decades ago  as no one else ever modeled  them in 1/48 or 1/32 kits that I'm aware of.  If you see one for sale, grab  it. 

I believe that Inpact were the first to produce these kits in responce to the 60's film Those magnificent men in their flying machines and Pyro reboxed them.It's great to see you builing an old timer,more old timers please.
My stash is out of control!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »
I did not realize the EZ line was not round as I never used it before .  I just looked at mine with my loupe and it is indeed "flat"so, I wil keep that  in mind.

In my humble opinion, if you have to look at the line with a loupe to discern its flatness, I can't see the point in using it instead of monofilament. Flatness was the single feature that interested me and if that aspect isn't visible to the naked eye, I don't think I'll bother with it.

As I said though, that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
I read recently that the old Pryo kits were going to be reissued by Lingbergh theyvare nice basic kits.  I've built the AVRO biplane and Bleroit and have started the Boxkite.  Here's my biplane I built 10-15 years ago.  Rigged with fishing line and PE used on the wheels

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Duckworth/Allied/AvroBipe/index.html
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:14:45 PM by cduckworth »
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »
I read recently that the old Pryo kits were going to be reissued by Lingbergh theyvare nice basic kits.  I've built the AVRO biplane and Bleroit and have started the Boxkite.  Here's my biplane I built 10-15 years ago.  Rigged with fishing line and PE used on the wheels

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Duckworth/Allied/AvroBipe/index.html

It's excellent!  :)

Are those Eduard PE wheels?

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 04:30:28 AM »
No, the PE wheels came from Toms Model Works but I used the kit's tires. 
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »
I tried using the EZ line but I found that the elastic properties of it made it extremely difficult   to work with. So, I gave up on it.

I want to try monofiliment but, I'm not quite shure what size etc  to get (for 1/48 and 1/32) so, any help is apreceiated . :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:29:58 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
For all my 1:32 scale models I have used 0.12mm monofilament, I use Maxima brand in Chameleon colour, it is a 2lb line or 0.12mm, very flexible and very strong and CA bonds it beautifully.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com