Author Topic: Barracuda Studios are going WWI!  (Read 9019 times)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Re: Barracuda Studios are going WWI!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »
Lovely stuff thanks for the link!

I want a 1:1 scale wicker seat for my model room, anyone know where I can get one of those too?

:) :)

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
I just ordered both sets as well. One for my Pup, one for my Biff, and one for my SE5a. Now all I gave to do us get around to actually finishing them! ;D

George

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
I am getting a set from Roy and will photograph and write up my impressions here. I think they will be outstanding additions, especially for the DH-2.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »
Ok...this brings into question a question: which is more historically accurate for the SE5a? WnW's SE anyway. They furnish it with a bench like seat which does seem awfully rudimentary....simplistic even...so I gotta ask if replacing it with this excellent wicker seat is messing with any integrity? Dumb question?           -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 02:01:21 PM »
Doug, I'm afraid every reference I've ever seen shows a basic wooden bench.
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/se5a-walkaround
I know this is a repro, but it's a TVAL repro and it closely matches a contemporary photo on page 30 of the Datafile and the RAF Museum's SE5a illustrated on page 31.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.   The Barracuda seats would look good in the Biff, the DH9, the DH2, the RE8 and possibly the Ninak.  Sorry, George, but the Pup and Tripe used aluminum seats.
I feel bad, now.  I hear balloons popping all around the world. :'(
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
Pop pop pop. :o

That's ok, I have a Biff and enough other planes that used wicker seats. They will get used. :D

I was wondering about the Pup because all the reference I've seen use aluminum seats as you say.

George

Offline eclarson

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
A question I have is for which aircraft would the high-backed seat in set 32234 be appropriate?  From what I can see in the various WNW instructions, those using that style of wicker seat use the low-backed version.  Or could it vary between individual aircraft? 

The Barracuda seats look incredible, and I'll be ordering a few, but I wish he'd have made the seats in the dual set available separately. 

Eric

Offline macsporran

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 01:11:04 AM »
Hi Bud and Doug, on another thread I mentioned digging around in a storage hut at East Fortune and finding various WWI bits and pieces.
This included a wicker seat exactly like the lower backed Barracuda offering, which was labelled as coming from an SE 5a. So I don't think they all necessarily had the bench arrangement.
I plan a trip back down there soon and will try to get more info.
Sandy

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 01:59:54 AM »
That would be very cool, Sandy.  I'd love it if it were so.  I do like the look of a wicker seat in a model.  It would certainly put the model industry on it's ear.  Every SE5/SE5a kit I've ever seen provides a bench type seat.
I forgot to mention that those seats would be appropriate for the Camel and the Bristol M1c.  Also, the BE series, if WNW would stop teasing us and get that one released.  I'm trying to figure out how to modify one for the Snipe, which has a low backed open weave seat.  Hmmmm.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 02:46:50 AM »
Yes, the BEs had wicker. I am planning a scratch build of a BE2c if WNW doesn't produce on before I get to it.

George

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 02:57:41 AM »
Yes, the BEs had wicker. I am planning a scratch build of a BE2c if WNW doesn't produce on before I get to it.

George
Now, that I'd love to see, George, although I'm hoping you won't have to.  Your Pup has certainly provided you with the experience for such a project.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Roy Sutherland

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 04:30:17 AM »
Hi Guys.

Roy from Barracuda here.

As I understand it, the wicker seats could be ordered from a catalog per the individual pilots preference, and mounted in just about any aircraft. The open back seats were found in the AGS catalog.

HTH  Roy

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »
Well, well, well, how about that? Thanks Roy, that's excellent information...and good enough for me...I'll be getting one to drop into my SE.        -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline MoFo

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
Couple of references:  http://www.johnsshawaviation.co.uk/wordpress/sopwith-camel-f1-2/sopwith-camel-reconstruction/sopwith-camel-seat/ and http://wickerworks.weebly.com/wicker-pilot-seat.html

The first link includes the page listing the wicker seats from the 1917 AGS/Aircraft Supplies Company Catalogue.  So, theoretically, any pilot *could* order a replacement wicker seat, and given the amount of personalization seen among WWI aircraft, it seems plausible that you could add it to any RFC aircraft.  If you're going for historical accuracy though, check your references.

As for the two open-backed seats...  the shorter seat is based on the dimensions for pilot's seats, particularly in scout aircraft.  The taller seat is more typical of observers' seats.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
I guess my balloon's been unpopped!  ;D

Thanks Roy!

George