Author Topic: Eduard Fokker EV ( DVIII ) 1/72 - FINISHED  (Read 17093 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Eduard Fokker EV ( DVIII ) 1/72 - FINISHED
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
Hallo!
Here is my new project, hopefully a short one (according to my "slow time" standards!!!)...  because I have in mind a big project after this...

An Italian modeler friend of mine started this kit some time ago but he got fed up (not being WW1 his main interest) and few months ago he gave the box to me...

This is the box:

the sprue

These are the fuselage halves he painted and added some PE detail. I don't like the triangles (wooden panels) and of course the colour...

Here are the PE fret and other spare pieces:

The engine was painted and a PE part added on the back side, the yellow resin chunks should be the body of the MGs.
The PE cockpit was partially assembled, I guess I will keep the floor and the seat

This is the decals sheet, I don' tlike this version, so I will use the crosses and keep the checkerboard for other eventual future projects:

The pieces appear without any detail at all on the surfaces, and the kit is very basic, but this is a reason for accepting the challenge!

More later, now I have to rush away...

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:39:01 PM by andonio64 »

Offline Naimbs

Re: Eduard Fokker EV ( DR VIII ) 1/72
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:13:37 PM »
Hello,

I love these old models! I did not know that box with this box art!! Thank you!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:37 AM »
Hallo again,
I want to ask the advice of all of you before starting this one: I don't know which version of this plane to make, I always prefer to dedicate the build to a pilot, I mean a real person who fought (no matter on which side) on that machine, butinthis case I have really a few information on this plane, I searched the web and the squadron keeping returning from my search is Jasta 6 at Busigny - Escaufort (France) in August 1918.

The colour schemas of this Jasta are nice, they had the black-White striped tail planes and wheel covers, the cowling is white with black wedges and the whole fuselage is lozenge...

Here the questions
1.)
What kind of lozenges? (I suppose 4 colors seen the late period the plane was used)
What colour of the lozenges? And where is it possible to buy them in 1/72 scale?

2.)
The interior of the cockpit would then be in a faded version of the same lozenge?

3.)
What about the belly of the plane and the lower surface of the undercarriage inter-wheels plane?

4.)
And how where the wings painted? I have seen many schemas in plain green (olive drab?) above and below, some with lozenges (which ones) some with diagonal streaking (see xmald WIP here but that is not exactly Jasta 6 if I'm not wrong)...

5.)
Which pilot?
So far I found only the profile attributed to Richard "Ricardo" Wenzl (credited 12 victories) whose plane should have looked more or less as shown here

But some times this plane is associated to Paul Wenzel (10 victories) of the same Jasta...

Does anyone have more precise information ?

Thanks for helping!!!!

Antonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:07 AM »
Hallo again,
I want to ask the advice of all of you before starting this one: I don't know which version of this plane to make, I always prefer to dedicate the build to a pilot, I mean a real person who fought (no matter on which side) on that machine, butinthis case I have really a few information on this plane, I searched the web and the squadron keeping returning from my search is Jasta 6 at Busigny - Escaufort (France) in August 1918.

The colour schemas of this Jasta are nice, they had the black-White striped tail planes and wheel covers, the cowling is white with black wedges and the whole fuselage is lozenge...

Here the questions
1.)
What kind of lozenges? (I suppose 4 colors seen the late period the plane was used)
What colour of the lozenges? And where is it possible to buy them in 1/72 scale?

2.)
The interior of the cockpit would then be in a faded version of the same lozenge?

3.)
What about the belly of the plane and the lower surface of the undercarriage inter-wheels plane?

4.)
And how where the wings painted? I have seen many schemas in plain green (olive drab?) above and below, some with lozenges (which ones) some with diagonal streaking (see xmald WIP here but that is not exactly Jasta 6 if I'm not wrong)...

5.)
Which pilot?
So far I found only the profile attributed to Richard "Ricardo" Wenzl (credited 12 victories) whose plane should have looked more or less as shown here

But some times this plane is associated to Paul Wenzel (10 victories) of the same Jasta...

Does anyone have more precise information ?

Thanks for helping!!!!

Antonio

Antonio. In answer to some of your questions.
1. Fuselage commonly covered in 4 color upper Lozenge, Available from Aviattic. The undersurface of the fuselage is most Likely 4 color Lower Lozenge. The interior would be a reverse upper 4 color included on some of the 1/72nd Aviattic sheets. E Mail Richard for his PDF file to order.
2. The wing is a little more controversial. That being said the Common theory now is that 4 stains were used. A Mocha brown and Green on the uppers and a Lilac and light blue on the lowers. There were some VERY lengthy discussions on the Aerodrome Forum in the RC Models and Colors and Markings sections. A streaky look is evident in some photos.
3. The aircraft you described is Richard Wenzl, Transferred to tempory command of Jasta 6 from Jasta 11. The stripe was his Personal Marking throughout his career as a Jasta pilot including his tenure with Jasta 11 and 6.
I hope this helps.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:30 AM »
Thanks Rick, your infos are very helpful, I was distracted by the tones of the lozenges I found around the web, they are really different from each other, I will mail Richard to get the order form for Aviattic.

Do you happen to know other Jasta 6 pilots' schemas?

Ciao and thanks again...

Antonio

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:38:23 AM »
Thanks Rick, your infos are very helpful, I was distracted by the tones of the lozenges I found around the web, they are really different from each other, I will mail Richard to get the order form for Aviattic.

Do you happen to know other Jasta 6 pilots' schemas?

Ciao and thanks again...

Antonio

The Osprey Richthofens Flying Circus book has another jasta 6 scheme associated with a pilot. There is also the FAMOUS JAsta 6 lineup but really no individual Pilots associated with the aircraft. That being said there are at least 4 or 5 known schemes from the Jasta. I will look and see if there is a Line up photo on the net so as not to break any copy right laws posting photos from books.
RAGIII
PS: As for the Axle wing green on both surfaces is most likely.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:10 AM »
Antonio,
Here is a link to some basic drawings representing the Jasta 6 lineup:

http://wwiaviation.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-fokker-dvii-ev-project-2013.html

RAGIII

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 04:16:12 AM »
Thanks again Rick

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »
Hallo,
some steps ahead:

I prepared the additional decals that will complement the crosses on the original Eduard sheet, the stencils going to the port side of the fuselage

Fortunately the white band across the fuselage overlaps the s/n because as far as I know the s/n of the plane I decided to reproduce is unknown.

The Jasta 6 profile I chose is this

it is said to belong to Ltn. Richard Wenzel Busigny-Escaufort, France, Aug. 1918.

Yesterday I touched up the engine (it was already mounted with the PE piece). I drybrushed with some aluminum just to reinforce the appearance of the cylinders, and decided to leave the PE exhaust tubes, although flat, so I painted them and the effect on such a small scale is acceptable.

I bought a very nice sheet of 4 colors lozenge from Aviattic, now I should decide how to cut them to fit the shape of the plane, my idea so far is this:
externally

interiors

bottom

I never used lozenges before, so any help would be precious for me.

I am very uncertain about 2 things:
- I have pierced the holes to let the control cables of the tail  go through, but how do I find them after putting the decals on?
- which base colour should I use to paint the fuselage before lying the decals?
I am also worried about trimming the excess decals that will go out of the fuselage contour...

I also cut a rough shape from an acetate sheet to have a trace when cutting the decals, I also traced the bottom shape on a paper sheet...

Then I re traced the panels on the top wing and on the inter-wheels plane, and enlarged a bit the holes for struts and rigging.

Yesterday evening I prepared the control horns for the wing and the rudder but made no photo yet, more later this week

Thanks for looking as usual and have a nice week!

Ciao

Antonio
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:53:24 PM by andonio64 »

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 04:36:48 AM »
Hi Antonio,
Aviattic decals are very difficult to trim once on, I would use templates for them as far as possible and make sure they fit properly before applying them. I use a white base coat for the undersides, and a slightly darker, more tan colour for the uppers. These decals are VERY transparent, so any preshading or details you add WILL show through!
 You should be able to find the pre-drilled holes with no trouble. The decals will adhere very nicely to all details.

Ian

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 06:25:05 AM »
Hi Antonio,
Aviattic decals are very difficult to trim once on, I would use templates for them as far as possible and make sure they fit properly before applying them. I use a white base coat for the undersides, and a slightly darker, more tan colour for the uppers. These decals are VERY transparent, so any preshading or details you add WILL show through!
 You should be able to find the pre-drilled holes with no trouble. The decals will adhere very nicely to all details.

Ian

Thanks very much Ian, I will then trim the decals before sliding them on the fuselage, I thought to spray light gray primer all over the fuselage and white primer for the other pieces not needing lozenges. By saying tan you mean light brown such as Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan or XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan?

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
Hi - Looks like you've got the orientation right with the lozenge (you've actually got our joined set for wings here)
I wouldn't recommend grey as a background colour however - seven years work went into getting those colours as they should be and that is only achieved with a white undercoat. If you want to time the colours post washes or mist costs will be far better..
As for application and trimming - we make no secret that trimming these whilst wet or after application is difficult / the instructions cover all this....

Good luck - I am here for advise if required you know?

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard, your advice would be helpful indeed, 'cause I never used lozenge before.
I will proceed with white bg also because it is the colour of the fuselage vertical band.
I'll read the instruction carefully before starting.

Thanks again

Antonio

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
Andonio,
             I don't know how I missed your original posting of this build, but I'm sure glad I found it now. I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this as I have one on the stash I procured a long time ago.

Warren

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:59 PM »
Andonio,
             I don't know how I missed your original posting of this build, but I'm sure glad I found it now. I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this as I have one on the stash I procured a long time ago.

Warren

Thanks Warren, I hope to work this in a good way, it is my first time with lozenges and as I said above there are problems in managing insertion of cables coming out of the fuselage (control wires towards the tail planes , rudder and wing) after putting the decals on.

I understand it should not be difficult to spot the holes beneath the decals because they are transparent, but normally I glue the cables inside the fuselage then I paint it. This time I am afraid to put glue onto the hole (not into... it is 0.3 mm wide) would spoil the decal surface...

Any advice?

Antonio

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .