Author Topic: Spin Models Caproni Ca.20  (Read 8831 times)

Offline jessie_c

Spin Models Caproni Ca.20
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:41:51 PM »
The Caproni Ca.20 is the Grandfather of every single fighter aircraft in the world. Conceived in 1913, it didn't find favour with the Italian Government, who had decided that Caproni would build bomber aircraft rather than fighters. Relegated to the status of a one-off failure, the Ca.20 was saved from destruction by Giovanni Caproni himself, who stored it in a barn on the family farm for the next 85 years. In 1999 it was rescued from obscurity by the Museum of Flight in Seattle, who now have it on display. Except for its tires which were chewed by rodents, the Ca.20 is displayed as it was found.

Spin Models do resin kits of obscure Great War aircraft, and this one is about as obscure as they get. The kit is very basic, as are the instructions. Beginning modellers need not apply.

The contents of the kit rattle around in the box, but at least they're safely sealed into separate plastic pouches to keep the rather brittle thin resin parts from being damaged.

The instructions, as mentioned, are pretty basic

This one is going to take some TLC to do properly. I really don't know how I'm going to get the propeller into the spinner. I'll likely need to cut off at least one blade (if not both) and then glue it back together once I've fed it into the spinner.
"When once you have tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward
for there you have been and there you will always long to return."  Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline jessie_c

Re: Spin Models Caproni Ca.20
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »
I begin by giving the major parts a cleaning up. Careful sanding and carving is needed to avoid breaking the resin. Despite my caution, I managed to break one of the wing spars, so it was replaced by a piece of straight pin.

The empennage

Propeller and spinner

It fits!

I gave the interior a base coat of Tamiya Deck Tan to prepare it for the oil paint wood effect to come.

Now to let that cure.
"When once you have tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward
for there you have been and there you will always long to return."  Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
Jesse,
Nice to see you posting another build. This one looks to be really interesting. You have made a terrific start!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
You have made a great start to a very obscure kit of a really unique aeroplane. What you have done so far is looking good, I will be following your build of this nice looking aircraft.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
Jessie:

I've always been fascinated by this aeroplane (and the fact that it ended up in Seattle!), and I'll be following your build with interest.  Great choice!

Regards,

Bob

Offline jessie_c

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »
Some burnt sienna oil paint for the first bit of the woodgrain paint

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks for being prepared to share this build with us, Jessie. It's obviously not for the faint-hearted, but you have made a  fine start.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
Jessie,
   When you say you'll build just about anything you're not kidding. :o Very obscure subject that's new to me, neat choice! Looks like a bit of work required to get good results, I'll be following your progress with interest!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 01:18:42 AM »
Looking great so far Jesse!
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 04:58:52 AM »
So great to see you back, Jessie, and with such a wonderful model in the works.  I like those crazy Spin kits in spite of their challenges.  I know you'll do a brilliant job on this one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
Very great beginning of this kit Jessie.
Martin

Offline jessie_c

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »
Once the oils in the interior dried, I could get going on the building. It's a simple little model, but of course because of that there's so much potential for things to go wrong. I've got the first coat of paint on to see how it looks

Does this make my tail look big?

Where the engine will live

No matter how much care you take with resin kits, it's inevitable that you'll hear that sad little *snap*. I test fit the wings to show how it will look, and the front left spar snapped off. I'll need to very carefully drill and replace it. However, the model is beginning to look like an airplane now

And now those whirly-around bits what keep the pilot cool. Available photos show that the propeller tips were squared off, so I nipped them short, sanded and repainted.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »
Very nice update, Jessie.  She's shaping up beautifully.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
It is really starting to look like an aeropane now  Jessie, you are doing a geat job so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
Very nice update, Jessie.  She's shaping up beautifully.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with my Amigo 100%
RAGIII