Author Topic: Joystick Phonix!  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Joystick Phonix!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
Go Dan Go !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
Just a bit more... ;D

I scrounged up the top of an engine and used some twist tie wire to add radiator tubing, heat-pulled q-tip handles for tiny hollow tubes to become the exhaust and gun openings and made a handy jig from a 3-view (Harleyford) for wing alignment.  I also needed to move the exhaust manifold to the right side as per some pictures I've seen.  Next will be some real painting...

Thanks for looking...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
Nice job on the engine Dan , like your parts made from Q-tips !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »
Nice jig too :)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »
What a great idea for a jig. You fellows here are so inventive. Once again, I'd have never thought about making something like this in a million years.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:45 PM »
Wow!  You're really moving along on this one, Dan, and doing a brilliant job of it.  Looking forward to seeing paint on her.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:30 AM »
Thanks, Everybody... :)

I am kind of stuck for colors...I don't really want to make it simply overall grey.  I'm leaning toward light tan with green spinach splotches or light grey and dark grey splotches...I'm still looking!

The tiny holes you get at the end of the Q-tips make it worth while.  They are tiny, tiny tubes no matter how much you stretch them.  However, the plastic is different than our sprues and stretching is hard to do.  It's like the plastic does not stretch evenly and it's very brittle...cools off fast too.  But, after 2,000 tries, you do get "the one" you want!  ;)

I've used that Harleyford publication book of 3-views for making free flight  and RC model planes for years.  Assuming they are accurate, it's a great resource!  Makes aligning parts pretty easy.  I used it first on a Revell D-VII with stretched sprue cabanes...that plethora of spider legs scared me.  No problem with the cardboard jig  ;)

More soon...Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
Great work on the engine Dan and the wing jig is an excellent idea.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
A bit more...almost done!  8) 8)

I got some paint on it, did some weathering, decaled with the help of Future, rigged with elastic and here she sits. 

Little details are left including the radiator, fuselage numbers, control wires, horns and touch up here and there.  Plus the prop and wheels!  Almost forgot. 

She should be done soon!  Thanks for looking...Dan

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
Lovely work on this model, Dan. Very fine paint and shading.
But could you bring some details on the colour scheme? I do not remember this pattern.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »
Interesting scheme Dan , I like it ! 

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 10:07:02 PM »
Yes indeed, I like that subdued scheme myself.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
Beautiful construction, rigging, and painting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 02:07:05 AM »
Lovely work on this model, Dan. Very fine paint and shading.
But could you bring some details on the colour scheme? I do not remember this pattern.

Thanks, everyone...

Prezemol:  This scheme is based on (the shape of the demarcations anyway) a photo of D-IIIs on the assembly line at the end of the war.  From what I could gather, they were either light tan (linen?) with either grey or green or brown camo over top.  I know the late D-IIIs were overall grey so I just thought it likely they were all grey with some other camo color for war time.  I just liked the way the two grey colors looked so I went with those.  I also saw at least one painted profile where the author noted that his two-tone brown should have been two-tone greys. 

So this is my best guess and what I think looked aesthetically pleasing.  I doubt it's historically accurate and it's not a model of a specific aircraft or group... :(

I hope this helps... :)

Dan

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 03:15:59 AM »
Dan,
    I missed this Thread earlier for some reason, just looked at it now and Wow, what a neat Build! Like many I've never built a Vac Kit, this is quite interesting and inspiring. Your version of a Jig is very impressive; I am a great fan of Jigs for construction and never would have thought of this approach.
Thanks for sharing your techniques and compliments on a very nice model.
Cheers,
Lance