Author Topic: WiP - 1/72 Encore Models Albatros D.III Oeffag  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
WiP - 1/72 Encore Models Albatros D.III Oeffag
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »
Hi folks - just made a start on the Encore Models 1/72 Albatros D.III Oeffag. For those who don't know about this kit, it is the Roden Albatros D.III Oeffag series 153 kit, re-boxed with some etch and resin goodies, and decals for a polish post-war aircraft. My plan is to build this one out of the box (very unadventurous of me, I know...!).

Many of you will have seen or built the Roden series of Albatros' models, so I won't go into too much detail, other than to say the shape is generally accurate. The kit is designed by Roden for maximum sales flexibility in that the upper forward decking and cowls are all separate, as well as the upper wing being split into three sections, all to facilitate the different German and Austrian models of the Albatros. Whilst great, this makes construction a little trickier. The plastic is soft and has a rough texture to it, as well as a bit of flash, so some care is needed in the clean up. The extra goodies added by Encore are nicely done.

So far, I have the cockpit done. The Roden cockpit is sparse, so Encore have added some extras in the way of a basic cockpit floor and rear bulkhead, a nice resin forward bulkhead and ammo can, gun butts, seatbelts and instrument panels. These go a long way to dressing up the cockpit, but there is still plenty of room for details and accuracy adjustments for those so inclined.  As this is an OOB build I left it as is.

The engine, as in all of these small scale Roden kits, is nicely done for this scale.  Encore dress the engine up by providing some nice resin exhaust pipes, which are much nicer than the original Roden offerings.

Next is to close the fuselage.... hopefully it all goes together with minimal fuss....!

Cheers,

BC

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WiP - 1/72 Encore Models Albatros D.III Oeffag
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
Brilliant start on what promises to be another fantastic project, Brad!  While most of us are moving to the larger scales, you seem to be going smaller.  Ah, to have the vision and dexterity of youth.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
Nothing short of your usual brilliance Brad! Looking forward to your progress as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
You have made a very nice start Brad, I'll be looking forward to seeing this build progress.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
Thanks guys - yep I am finding myself drawn more and more to 1/72 scale.  I have always had the perception in the back of my mind that 1/72 is the ultimate scale for WW1 era aircraft. There's something about a beautiful string-bag in 1/72 that just makes ones jaw drop - I hope one day to master that scale (I have a long way to go...!)

Anyways, some speedy progress this afternoon - the fuselage is together and primed.

I had to clamp the fuselage together from nose to tail as the fuselage is bowed, but generally everything fit well and not much filler was needed, other than the upper decking which needed shimming with 1mm thick plastic card to get it in the right spot. The rough texture of the plastic meant a bit of sanding, which meant the loss of detail, but thankfully Encore do a good job of supplying replacement louvers and panels. The Roden kit has some ambiguous panel lines around the rear fuselage, so I had to take some liberties in re-scribing and crisping this up a bit.  The forward fuselage permits the engine to be dropped in after painting if you leave the nose cap off (which is what I have done) - this should make masking slightly easier.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »
Shaping up very nicely so far Brad  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:48:54 PM »
Great detail for that scale. Excellent work.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:13:36 AM »
Hello Brad:

I agree with you in that there is the jaw drop sensation when seeing a well done 1/72nd scale WWI a/c.  Just amazing what can be done in that scale.  I don't think you have that long of a way to go.  Your work is always amazing to me.  I have always liked the Austrian side of the house Albatros aircraft and will be looking forward to seeing you work through this one.  Who knows, there may be 1/72nd scale model on my bench........hmmmmmm ::)
The work you have done so far looks excellent.  Encore really puts together a good mix of goodies to perk up the Roden kits. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:47 AM »
Brad, Another terrific update! Looking great!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 03:40:45 AM »
  I have always had the perception in the back of my mind that 1/72 is the ultimate scale for WW1 era aircraft. There's something about a beautiful string-bag in 1/72 that just makes ones jaw drop - I hope one day to master that scale (I have a long way to go...!)
  Which is why the proper name for 1/72 is God's Own Scale.

BTW you do not have to hope for that day to come as it arrived a long time ago. This is a wonderful piece of modelling and well up to the extremely high standard that we normally associate with your work.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:56 AM »
Oh my dear, Brad. It is spectacular, as usually from you. And I am very glad to hear you seem to be moving to 72nd scale! There are so many little jewels, especially from Roden, to be built. I hope to see them Camel, Brisfit, SE5a and all those Albatroses coming from your workbench in the coming months/years!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
Great work so far. I know the 1/72 Roden Albatros kits and you have made an impressive upgrade even if it's a good basis. The painting of materials (ie wood and metal) is beautiful.

Offline Culi

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »
This is really nice. Looking forward to see more.
The process meters...  therefore so much models are stuck between start and finish

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »
Hi all - the little Albie has some paint on her now.  I went for a Polish D.III of the 7 Eskadra "Kosciuszko" flown by American volunteers during the Polish-Bolshevik War of 1919-1920.

The kit decals were used except for the sworl fabric and aircraft numbers.  I went with the Techmod sworl fabric decals as its colours were a little more muted and the sworls a little tighter than that depicted in the kit decals.  I found out the hard way that the Techmod decals don't stick too well and are brittle when dry - I found it very difficult to remove the rib tape masking without pulling up the decal, and the top wing needed to have sections re-decalled and re-weathered.  Very frustrating.  None the less, the re-applied decals aren't too obvious unless you look for them....

Cheers,

BC

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 11:14:37 AM »
Very nicely done Brad, the wood effect looks excellent and your decal application, even though you experienced issues, turned out looking superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com