Author Topic: Boudwin's S.E.5a - decals wanted  (Read 1110 times)

Offline rhwinter

Boudwin's S.E.5a - decals wanted
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »
Hi all,
I would like to build THIS very aircraft in 1:32th scale: http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/532/pics/3_1.jpg
My questions are: Can I use Wingnut Wings' S.E.5a? And is there an after market decal-set for this machine?
Thank you in advance!
Richard
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:39:12 AM by rhwinter »

Offline Vickers

Re: Boudwin's S.E.5a - decals wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:04:54 AM »
I've never seen 1/32nd decals for any machine flown by the 25th Aero Squadron- and according to my references they operated the Viper-powered SE5a, so the WNW 'Hisso' kit might be better employed on another option. In 1/48th, I can provide you with Aviprint decals for his squadron mate, LT. Rorison.  Only difference is #13 vice #19, but I used the rudder flash on one of my previous builds. The Rorison option is intact otherwise.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:18:20 AM »
Thank you very much for your offer, Vickers, and for your important hint concerning Viper- versus Hispano-Suiza-powered S.E5a's! But as I am only in 1:32nd scale building, at least as long as ist WWI-biplanes, I will not Need your Aviprint decals - thanks, though!

In the meantime I've seen Roden's Viper-powered S.E.5a has 25th Squadrons USAS-decals - but with'13 too! And now I don't know whether to wait for WnW's Viper-powered S.E.5a (the will do one, won't they?!) or to buy Roden's S.E.5a together with all the aftermarket stuff to pimp the kit...

Regards, Richard

Offline Vickers

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »
That's up to you, Richard! Should you change your mind, just gimme a shout. If you order the Roden kit w/extras and build it WNW is sure to release a W-V version right around the time you finish it- and it might even include the "19" markings you seek!  That's how this hobby works, but often we must fall on the sword to get what we really want.  However, since Peter Jackson has expressed his desire to produce 1/32nd kits that haven't recently been done by others, it could be years (or never) before we see a W-V SE5 from WNW. I wish he would reconsider that philosophy, because a series of Nieuports, SPADs, Fokker Triplanes, Sopwith Camel, and a W-V SE5 from WNW would rule!  On the other hand, if it means that WNW produces a Vickers Gunbus, Sopwith Dolphin, and Halberstadt D.II/III instead then I certainly won't complain!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »
Your words are mine, Vickers!