Author Topic: 1/72 AGO C.I scratch build  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Bolman

1/72 AGO C.I scratch build
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Greetings all,

I'm not going to try and post all of this in one post, or I'll be at it for hours. Learned that one from when I posted all of the FEE.
Hopefully I won't drag this out too long between posts and get this thread current in a short time.

As I've mentioned in a post elsewhere, I've started this scratch build of yet another pusher type, but one from the CP side; The AGO C.I.

With the aide of a Windsock Datafile, I have pretty much decided I have what I need to get started. After printing the drawing from my scanner and checking it for scale, the fun was about to begin.

Unlike with the Fee, I didn't start with the fuselage this time. I started with the wings. The wings intrigued me in that their cord was less than what I've done before, and the wing profile was much thinner. I felt this is where the challenge lay and if I couldn't get the wings correct, there was no need to continue with the project.

Using the laminating method I've used before in making wings, I started by layering various widths of 0.020" sheet styrene to create the rough shape of the wing in profile.

Once assembled, I then began the shaping of the wing. Here I've already started rounding over the leading edge:

In order to shape the wing, I will need to remove those edges from the layered strips on the underside. To do this, I used an old exacto blade that I reshaped and sharpened.

With the point of the #11 blade ground away, I can now safely scrape the unwanted styrene away from the underside of the wing.

With the majority of the removal done, we have this:

After a little more work on the wing shaping, we now have one of the wings ready for having the ribs added.

That will be all for this update. I might be able to get a couple more updates in to bring this thread current.

Thanks for looking,

John
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:00:29 PM by Bolman »

Offline Old Man

Re: 1/72 AGO C.I scratch build
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
I seem to recall seeing you start this one up somewhere else, Sir. Very glad to see it still progressing. I have always had a soft spot for this machine. Remarkably trim for a pusher, and reminiscent of the future P-38 at first glance. One wonders why the English and French, who persevered with pusher configuration so long, never adopted the lower drag boom configuration. The thing made quite an impression on English pilots who saw one --- they believed it was a twin engine machine.

For removing material from a cambered undersurface, by the way, I have found a large pill-bottle or cylindrical jar, with heavy grit sandpaper attached by double-face tape, works very nicely. Smaller bottles with the same grits attached can be used to vary the curve once the heavy removal is complete.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
Very nice work on the wing John, this is a method I will have to try on my next scratch build. I have used the Old Man method to wrap coarse grit paper around an appropriate sized cylinder, but your idea of the reshapened blade appears to work very well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:41 PM »
i remember this guy, glad you posted here so i can see the progress. it is a truly unique aircraft.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:34:50 PM »
Nice to see this one back on the bench John , will be following along closely .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:44 AM »
I'll be following this closely, John.  I'm getting closer to my first scratch build and I really like the technique you've used for creating the airfoil.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:42:58 AM »
I love these educational build logs!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline radio

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:58:01 AM »
An extremly great work John.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
John,
Good to see you bringing this build here! I followed it elsewhere and am looking forward to seeing your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »
Great start, John.  I admire your scratch building talents. Wonderful
work, especially in such a small scale.  The idea for the xacto blade
reshaping is novel, but very good.  Looking forward to your next
updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:46:16 AM »
Wonderful start on a little known type. I will be following this very closely for reasons which I think will be obvious to this regulars of this forum. Please show us more.

Offline Bolman

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
Wow, go away for a day and everyone shows up!
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Old Man:   Yeah, I've posted this in a few of your other haunts as well. Since I've decided to hang out here, thought I'd add it to the decor ;)
 Thanks for the sanding tip, I might be able to use it still with my method to smooth out some of my rough spots.

Des:        I would be interested in seeing how this method works in a larger scale. The best I can imagine is finding an old draw knife and modifying it for this purpose. Forgive me, I'm not familiar with the larger scales and their tools ;)

Albatros and Terri: Thanks for your continued support from the other forum. I hope I can manage to get this one done in a more timely fashion now that I'm modeling again!

Bud:        You sir, have my interest. I would love to see what you can do with this in 1/48th. I'm sure it will have much more detail than I can provide.

Chris:     ME TOO!! Can't wait to read this one to the end!

Martin and Rick:  Thanks guys, Still hope I can do Harry Woodman proud.

Ernie:   What can I say, I somehow can glue pieces of plastic together, but for the life of me, can't fold laundry. It's a mystery my wife has been trying to solve for years. I keep telling her, just not my skill set.

lone modeller: Thanks, and I think I know what your reasons are! Since you were so kind to ask for another update, I will do that for you right now...

Offline Bolman

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
Update!

We left off with one of the upper wings ready for the ribs to be added. I will show a little bit of that process and how I do it, and then move on to showing parts as they're completed.

Before getting to the rib process, here are a few shots of the wing parts on the drawing as I completed them:

You may note in the above picture, one of the ailerons temporarily in place. The shape is of interest since the inner section of forms were inverted causing the droop in the trailing edge. A detail I had never heard of until this project. There are a few other pictures later that will show this better.

The horizontal stablizer was also cut at some point during the wing fabrication process as shown here:

Now for the rib process.
I use a chemical called MEK, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone, as my 'glue' of choice while working with styrene. It is a cleaning solvent that can be purchased in 1 gallon cans here in the states. It is also the active ingredient in most liquid glues for ABS plastics. I bought a gallon about 10 years ago and I doubt I will have to replace it.
I fill a glass jar that was once for thinner and keep it on my bench. when in use, I use a clean brush that I do not use for painting to apply the MEK where I want to glue pieces together. In the following picture, I have the wing that I am working with laying on the drawing as a guide, a strip of 0.010" x 0.020" styrene held across the location it is to be added, and with keeping my fingers away from the joint area, apply the MEK.

The joint is already made in this shot, but I took this to demonstrate where I place the brush while holding the strip in place. The MEK will wick quickly between the two parts attacking and welding the pieces together.

Flipping the assembly over on a glass surface and trimming off the excess is all that is left in applying the rib.

Repeating the process for each rib location only takes a little while. In a matter of minutes, I had these done.

Now, the ribs look a bit blocky and too pronounced at this stage, but they will be sanded to shape once all of the ribs are added.

You may note the aileron is mounted to the wing in three locations using 0.015" diameter brass wire. These wing edges are the thinnest I have ever had to drill holes into but I was able to do it at the rib locations since the ribs actually helped. A tip I figured out the hard way, drill after ribs.
The same was done for the horizontal stablizer:

A closer look at the aileron:

The top center wing section:

A mirror image of the aileron for the other wing:

The top wing parts:

In my next update, we'll cover the tail parts and the beginning of the fabrication of the booms.

Thanks for looking!

John
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:06:06 AM by Bolman »

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
Man, these Scratch Builds never cease to amaze me, all the more so when in such a tiny scale! Learning a lot already, and very keenly awaiting more!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »
Fantastic looking wings, John!  Perfect!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence