Author Topic: 1/32 German crew figures from MDC sculpted by Steve Warrilow  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album

Product Code LSK05a and LSK05b

My local IMPS club are running a Build Same Kit contest and one of the kits modellers may choose from is the WNW Roland D.VIa or D.VIb. We've only got two months to complete the build and the first month is nearly gone. When I saw photos of this pair of figures from MDC I had to include them in my build, inspired by the two photos in the back of the Datafile:

I figured with a seated pilot in the cockpit most of the detail would not be visible which might offset the time required to paint and install the pilot before the fuselage gets closed up.

The figures are intended for the Wingnut Wings Albatros DV/DVa kit but with a little sanding the chap sitting on the fuselage can be made to fit the Roland (which has a squarer top on the fuselage). The ground crewman is helping the pilot getting fastened up. I have undercoated the two but painting has not yet commenced. There are some minor seam lines that will needed to be filled. The crewman astride the fuselage has separate arms (which have square pegs to ensure proper alignment), and both have separate heads. I have also sanded down the pilot's heels so that he fits properly on the seat in the cockpit.

The uniforms look authentic for late war, given the pilot is sitting on a Heinecke parachute and has the strapping around the waist, thighs and shoulders that you would expect. The belts are bunching in a very realistic fashion above the thighs - don't mistakenly remove these thinking they are flash! Both figures have puttees and ankle boots.

No painting details are included, not even a reproduction of the finished figures from the website which were painted by talented Kiwi modeller, Mike Butler. Modellers will have to find their own reference material - I recommend "German Air Forces 1914-18" #135 in Osprey's Elite Series, by Ian Sumner illustrated by Graham Sumner.

Here are some photos of Mike's awesome painting from his Facebook site:

The pilot's rear end has been sculpted to fit the narrow Albatros seat very nicely. I sanded down the lower back so that it fitted snugly into the Roland seat (which is a bit wider).

The crewman on the fuselage has an Iron Cross ribbon around one of the buttons, nice touch. His peaked cap looks great, including detailed little cockades. The fabric creases look very realistic to me, and his face is very well done. His left hand is missing  some finger detailing but this is simple enough to add in.

The mouldings are well done, no air bubbles present.

Available direct from the manufacturer, price £27.50 (it is unclear if VAT is deducted for non-EU customers).

I purchased the pair of figures from Nordland Models for 860 Kč which is about USD$49 incl. VAT (note VAT is deducted for non-EU customers). Nordland carry a great range of WWI models, figures and accessories and their mail order service is excellent.

http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/ModelDesignConstruction/_LSK05aandlsk05b/427842/LSK%20seated%20Pilot%20and%20Mechanic

http://www.nordlandmodels.com/category/lsk-figures:1017/

Conclusion
Crew figures can make a model come to life, and this pair will certainly do that with their very natural poses. The sculpting and moulding are first rate, beautifully done. Would have been good to have painting instructions, especially with so many WNW modellers not having a background in figure painting. Highly recommended for all that!

Now I need to get on and paint them. Wish me luck with that  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:08:38 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/