Author Topic: Vehicle section  (Read 1652 times)

Offline radio

Vehicle section
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
Hello Des
what is about a vehicle and accessories section in aircraft modeling?
The next time I want to build some lorrys and cars.
Martin
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:37:19 AM by radio »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Vehicle section
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
Thank you Martin for your suggestion. This is a topic I have been pondering for some time but have yet to establish the correct criteria for a vehicle board. The way I am thinking is that the vehicles would have to be WW1 related or capable of being used on WW1 airfields. WW1 accessories can be used quite readily in dioramas and add to the authenticity of those scenes, so vehicles could also add a touch of realism to a dio scene.

It would be good to be able to see how our members construct their vehicle models, many techniques can be aplied to aircraft building as well.

At this stage I will consider your suggestion and let you know soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
Actually I think there might be a place for vehicles: and the like Des'; accessories also, that sort of thing. The new refuelling rig would be a classic example I feel.
I also think that small simple vehicle and non-vehicular details being created would provided an excellent ideas "exchange" where easy scratchbuilt lorry loads or dioramic "props" could be showcased ... and copied, improved, or evolved from. (sorry about the dangling participle)!

Forum parameters should be pretty simple ... "Vehicular or otherwise, nothing beyond 1918 - and paraphernalia must fit onto or into the back of a period truck.

So, basically I'd be happy to second the idea.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
Me too, that includes WWI armor* as well, I think this can be added without losing the focus of the forum.

*Think about the Fokker movie where Tony Fokker inspects the British tank...

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
I know some will think it's diversifying perhaps but I think vehicles & accessories would be a good idea. Maybe lump them all into one general tab?

Especially with the sudden uptake in interest generally  in WW1 subjects at last.
I've the two new Takom 1/35th  MkIV tanks's on preorder & it would be nice to share them here.

Also it gives a chance to see other things that may be adaptable to use in A/C dioramas etc. 

If it doesn't work then it can always be removed after all.

Keith

Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline radio

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
It must be not a vehicle section but more a accessories section.
So we can take all about the airfields inside, like tents, houses, fuel carts, cars, lorrys and many other.
We have a figure section.
Martin

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
Got to agree with Martin again here. I think Armour would be a step too far away from the forum and its raison-d'etre ... that is unless you could come up with a pretty strong back-story as to why you have a Tank/Artillery field-piece on an Airfield  ... ;) And I'm sure some bright spark will now search the 'net just to find a picture and prove - me wrong/a point!

I do see what Martin is getting at - that during the lifetime of an aircraft both at Stand down and Dispersal - the sort of items you would see within the "personal space" of an aircraft as it goes about its business. In fact I'm sure the largest/heaviest vehicle you might see is one of those transporters that retrieve them from crash sites etc.

There is of course always the "Modellers Lounge" for any "off topic" so to speak, posts. I have the MiniArt German Tram and I'm itching to have a play with that - and seeing as you guys are now my "modelling family" you can be sure I'll post it there if only for your collective blessing and approval.

Not trying to be a pedant or anything, just trying to keep a positive a note on the idea as possible.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:56 PM »
I am taking all suggestions on board but at this stage I will not be including tanks in the vehicle build section, there are many AFV sites and forums on the net which cater well for tanks. I would like to keep it as airfield vehicles which would include large and small trucks, cars, motor bikes, bicycles, horse drawn carts, hand trolleys, refuelling carts and maintenance equipment. The vehicles could include pre-war vehicles as many of these where used for war purposes but the cut off date would be the end of WW1.

Des.

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »
My personal opinion is the only tank that should make it on the site is the type that can fly...like the Junkers J.I.  :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:09:58 PM by Jim »
Woof!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
A vehicle board has now been added to the modelling category, it is there as a trial only, participation on the board will determine if it stays.

Des.