Author Topic: Where do you guys get old vac kits?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline sisko

Where do you guys get old vac kits?
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »
I'd like to buy an Esoteric Parnall Panther (1/72), does anybody know a source that sells old vac kits? I know sometimes somethings pops up on ebay, but if you're looking for something specific, tough luck...

Tried with an internet search but got virtually nothing. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't even exist...  :(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:43:13 AM by sisko »

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Where do you guys get old vac kits?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:24:28 AM »
Hi Sisko,

I have most luck at model shows.  Usually people are practically giving them away!  I also bought some from "Roll Models" a while back.

My LHS has cardboard boxes with "catch-alls" that usually have several vacs in them.  Basically...get them where ever you can!

I hope this helps a bit.  Look here soon as I want to start work again on my long suffering Albatros (see below) and also start some new vacs soon.  They are a favorite of mine...

Cheers,
Dan

Offline sisko

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
Hi Sisko,

I have most luck at model shows.  Usually people are practically giving them away!  I also bought some from "Roll Models" a while back.

My LHS has cardboard boxes with "catch-alls" that usually have several vacs in them.  Basically...get them where ever you can!

I hope this helps a bit.  Look here soon as I want to start work again on my long suffering Albatros (see below) and also start some new vacs soon.  They are a favorite of mine...

Cheers,
Dan

Yeah, I see them at model shows too, but typically never what I'm looking for...  >:(
It seems that the vacs people give away for peanuts are usually those of subjects that are now covered by good plastic kits. I remember last time I went to a model show a guy had scores of vac kits (and many copies of the same kits) but they were ALL of subjects that you can now buy in plastic (also, mostly WWII and post-war, few or none WWI/interwar.) Hence the dirt cheap price (as low as $1.)

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
i got in contact with the owner of sierra scale a while back. he told me he hasnt been selling them because his injection machine was broken so he had the problem of making the detail parts. to me i am not interested in the white metal and low pressure injection detail parts, i just wanted the vac sheets. i then scratch build interiors or use spare seats,guns,engines and wheels. you can contact him and he has some kits he can sell but i have been buying just the vac sheets for $21.99 plus shipping. let me know if you want i can get you in contact with him. he says when he retires in a few years he will be releasing some new kits as well as upgrading his detail parts capability. i told him go with resin, and offered to cast bits for him but we havent started on anything.

Offline radio

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
Hello Albatros1234
Has he in scale 1:48 German planes also?
If it I need his mail.
Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
yes there is a list of vacuforms sierra included here:

http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/vacs.html#sierrascale

email: [email protected]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:00:39 PM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline radio

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »
Thank you for your answere Albatros1234.
Martin

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 02:16:08 PM »
my pleasure martin.