Author Topic: Copper State 1/48 scale Salmson-Moineau S.M.1  (Read 6507 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Copper State 1/48 scale Salmson-Moineau S.M.1
« on: March 01, 2014, 04:40:25 AM »
I guess it's been over 2 years now since Eric Hight decided to sell Copper State Models and many of us have been hoping that CSM would come back strong.  A few of us have even entertained the idea of buying the company just to keep it going. While we were struggling to come up with the money Eric required, Ilya Sobolev and Slava Krylov put together a team of talented modelers dedicated to keeping the Copper State tradition alive and took the plunge.  CSM is now back and, with the release of their first kit under the new management, it looks like they may be a serious contender in the 1/48 scale WWI market.
Just prior to Eric's announcement that he would be putting the company up for sale, he told me that Marty Digmayer had made a master for a new kit: the Salmson S.M.1.  I had never heard of this ship before, so I did a little reasearch and, man, was I blown away.  It was the freakiest thing I had ever seen, with one engine driving two props, the fuselage suspended between the top and bottom wings and a 3 man crew.  I absolutely had to have one.  As time went by, my anticipation grew until finally the CSM website reappeared with the long promised S.M.1 now available.  I immediately ordered one and it is worth the wait and every penny.
It comes in the heavy duty, top opening box for which CSM is known.

And here's what comes in that box:
Lots of flawlessly cast high quality resin.
Wings.

Fuselage and tail.

more

Bag full of struts.  Lots and lots of struts.

The usual Copper State pe.

Instruments.

And yet another box within the box (like a Matryoshka Doll!) containing the guns and engine.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:01:25 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Re: Copper State 1/48 scale Salmson-Moineau S.M.1
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:55:42 AM »
Markings for 3 aircraft.

And if the wing arrangement and struts seem a bit daunting, fear not.  An awesome jig template and instructions are provided.

The usual thorough CSM instructions are also in the box along with a signed certification.
In conclusion, this is one of the very finest resin kits I've ever seen and I can't wait to get started.  Just as soon as I finish the WNW Tripe.
Here's where you can order one:
http://www.copperstatemodels.com/
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:00:07 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:05:54 AM »
    Freaky hardly covers it Bud. You should really have your hands full with this one! My copy of Janes Fighting Aircraft of WWI has a small photo and smaller write up stating that the famous Breguet Flyer turned "Constructor", M. Louis Moineau, "produced the curious biplane in 1916-17". It flew but was never put into production.
    I hope you open a Build Thread on this beast, it would be an interesting feature. On a great note it's nice to see Copper State back in the Market. Back in my 1:48 past their stuff was, for me, a great resource long before the advent of the huge A/M choices we have today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:22:45 AM »
I don't think this will be a quick build, Lance.  Might even take me as long as Bo's Albatros. ;)  Still, looks to be a fun, if challenging, project.
Jane's got it wrong.  Over 155 of these beasts were produced with the majority being dispersed among army cooperation squadrons for long range reconnaissance.  Only one or two squadrons were fully equipped with the S.M.1.  It soon proved inferior to the Strutter and most were withdrawn.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »
Wow Bud, this just look south-watering!  I can't wait to see what you make of something that looks like it could fit into the Wacky Races.

Best wishes
Nigel

PS Bravo for Copper State.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 05:41:31 AM »
    I hope you open a Build Thread on this beast, it would be an interesting feature.

Ditto!

Might even take me as long as Bo's Albatros. ;) 

Wait, what?  >:( ;) :)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
I'm really looking forward to your build log, Bud.  I have never built an all-resin model
and it will be very interesting to see how it's done. 

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »
I want one too.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
glad to see they finally got their ducks in a row, perhaps this is a sign of things to come. i remember a bunch of buzz about how they were going to re-release a bunch of kits then all fell silent. this one is definately interesting and different so i gotta get one. besides we gotta show them there will be a return for their effort or else they will never put anything else out for us.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »
Hello Bud,

I can't hardly wait you seeing start on this one. With your skillful hands (and mind) you will make a stunning build of it my friend, I'm sure.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »
Might even take me as long as Bo's Albatros. ;) 

Wait, what?  >:( ;) :)
Oh, c'mon, Bo!  You gotta know by now that your phenomenal Albatros thread has become the new standard by which time is measured.  What are we approaching?  Two years?  ;)  Seriously, I wish I had your patience.  I'm working on it.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 01:22:18 AM »
glad to see they finally got their ducks in a row, perhaps this is a sign of things to come. i remember a bunch of buzz about how they were going to re-release a bunch of kits then all fell silent. this one is definately interesting and different so i gotta get one. besides we gotta show them there will be a return for their effort or else they will never put anything else out for us.
I want one too.
You hit the nail on the head, Scott.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to let everyone know about it's release.  They have a Big Ack in the works, and I really want one of those.  These babies ain't cheap, but well worth the money and if they reach their sales goal, we will see more.  In addition to the F.K.8, they're reworking many of the old masters and will have those out as soon as they're ready.  So guys, let's jump on the band wagon. 
Cheers,
Bud

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
Thanks Bud for showing us this really nice model, it is an unusual aircraft to say the least. Funny thing though is I was collecting information on this particular plane to do a scratch build in 1:32 scale, I can shelve that idea now that this brilliant model is released. I will be looking forward to seeing you start building this one Bud, with your excellent talents it will turn out to be a real gem. I checked the CSM website and noticed that they have a list of corrections for the kit, it appears that they are still fine tuning this kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
the a-w fk-8 is another of those "so ugly" its cool. i love the boxy nose. that would be great.

Offline Nesterov

• Copper State Models
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 08:49:31 PM »
    Freaky hardly covers it Bud. You should really have your hands full with this one! My copy of Janes Fighting Aircraft of WWI has a small photo and smaller write up stating that the famous Breguet Flyer turned "Constructor", M. Louis Moineau, "produced the curious biplane in 1916-17". It flew but was never put into production.
    I hope you open a Build Thread on this beast, it would be an interesting feature. On a great note it's nice to see Copper State back in the Market. Back in my 1:48 past their stuff was, for me, a great resource long before the advent of the huge A/M choices we have today.
Cheers,
Lance

Hello,
The total number of S.M.1's manufactured was 153/155 (various sources state these two numbers). Two of them were sent to Russia for testing, out of which one was destroyed in one of the test flights and another one served until 1919, last time seen fighting on Reds' side, bombing city of Kazan'.

Thank you for your kind words though! :). We (CSM) hope to bring you more WWI aeroplane plastic model kits in 1:48. However if this scale is a bit too small for you we are considering to launch some model kits in bigger scales too. :) Basically, we are here to please :).
The God created a Man and the Scale Modelling. Everything else is somehow secondary really...