Author Topic: Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson  (Read 15759 times)

Offline Gisbod

Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »
Hello,

Couldn't resist starting this:

I had no intention of buying it - I thought I wouldn't bother with WW1 1/48th again, but when you see it in the flesh - it's just impossible to resist! Really nice to meet Costas & the team, really nice guys and very helpful & friendly  :D

I think I'm going for this American scheme - I just like the top wing markings and they even provide a '15' paint mask for the small over painted old 15 which you can just see..

Another nice thing about the kit is you really don't need any extras at all - I did buy their vickers gun, but it's really not a necessity. I probably spent more on extras on the Alby than I did on the kit..  ::)

One question though.. The stripes on the wings are depicted as slanted, but all the squadron period photos I've found are straight? Although I haven't yet found a photo of '15's top wing? If anyone has a link to any photos I'd be very grateful.

I've made a start and painted the wood parts and some of the interior, but nothing to really post a photo of - I'll update when I have something to show. Initial thoughts are incredible detail - easily 1/32 level, the box is crammed full, the PE is really great, even giving you PE options for the ammo rack and the throttle quadrant. A nice touch  ;)

Dreading the rigging in this scale  :P  but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! My other area of concern is the struts and top wing - struts are very delicate and not a 'positive' connection like Wingnuts, so I think I'll have to make a proper jig - I'll be asking more about this later...

Thanks for looking in.

Guy

Ps they supply a really clever cardboard jig to get the correct dihedral on the lower wings - very well thought out..

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:51:44 AM by Gisbod »
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

Re: Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
This kit looks incredible! I am looking forward to seeing your build take shape!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:12:33 AM »
Hello Guy,

No wonder that you can't resist starting on this one. I overlooked the assembly manual the day before yesterday and I was overwhelmed by the details. Very very nice. All the best of luck with the build!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »
That should make a superb model, Guy. It will be fun to follow
your build.  With your talents, it will be a stunner.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:11:48 AM »
Hello Guy:

This kit sure fills a void in the 1/48 WWI range of kits.  I have seen it but never made the plunge, waiting for the WNW to be released.  I am looking forward to your build log and see how it goes for you and what pitfalls, if any, you discover along the way and how you overcome them.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:32:27 AM »
Glad to see you taking the lead on this one, Guy.  I'm anxiously awaiting the release to the general public, so I'll be following this build closely.  In regards to the slanted stripes, I have the Salmson book from Flying Machine Press by Colin Owers, Jon Guttman and James Davilla.  http://www.amazon.com/Salmson-Aircraft-World-Great-Profile/dp/1891268163/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384276824&sr=1-1&keywords=salmson+2a2  On page 60 at the bottom of the page there is an excellent photo of No.15, 91st Aero Sqdn, nosed over, clearly showing the slanted stripes.  It also shows that the number 15 had at, one time, been painted smaller, then over painted and the larger 15 applied.  I like these markings very much and I know it will be quite a striking model when you're finished.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:52:57 AM »

Thanks Bud  ;)

That's really helpful - I wonder why the others had straight lines?

I don't suppose that photo is anywhere on the internet?

Guy

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 06:02:40 AM »
The kit looks amazing Guy and I'm looking forward to seeing your first progress photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:55:15 AM »

I don't suppose that photo is anywhere on the internet?

Not that I know of, Guy, but I'll keep looking.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
Hi All

How wonderful to think that whether we work with 1/48 or 1/32 we will soon have state of the art models of the 2A2 in each scale. Could we possibly have imagined that ten years ago?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline fullb35

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »
 Guy.. Looking forward to your progress. I am planning on the WNW kit and this build should give me a big helping hand.

Offline xmald

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:01:30 AM »
Yummy! I wonder how it all turns out - it looks like a really nice model.
I always liked the plane...
Best regards
Filip

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 04:15:59 AM »

Hi,

Just a wee update - I've been working pretty hard on this but not much to show yet as all the wood bits are painted with oils, needing a few days to dry before I can start putting the cockpit together..

But I've had a bash at the rear guns, engine and bits and bobs..

The gunner station is lovely but very fiddly!  :o I'd suggest a stiff brandy before attempting this... I managed to break the rail twice..  :P I don't know if it's just me, but I find the really thin parts on any kit very difficult to cut away from the sprue without breaking/bending/distorting.. Any tips?  ??? (And I've just realised the drum handles would have been a leather strap - I wish now I'd cut the kit ones off and replaced with thin masking or similar..  :-[)

The engine is very detailed indeed with lots of photo etch - I need to do a little more detail painting, but basically done. I was going to paint the segments first to make it easier to represent the various colours recommended, but I decided to build first, paint later as I would have made a right mess gluing painted parts! And I'm glad I did due to the number of small parts involved (probably just me being used to 1/32 scale!).

The photo etch drum rack is great - a big improvement on the moulded option  ;)

The throttle quadrants are very good - the one on the right has 7 parts! (But the moulded options for these are very good if you can't quite face it.) the disc is the aerial wire spool - really nicely replicated with 2 PE parts and a spacer  ;)

Again, it's proving to be a fantastic kit  ;D

Cheers

Guy

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »
A great start Guy!

It is almost hard to believe that we're looking at 1/48 scale here. I just had to open the box of my to remind myself how small and delicate the parts are.

I too would be glad to hear of a way to cut very delicate parts from a sprue which avoids distorting them. What I tend to do is to use Tamiya cutters, supporting the piece being cut by holding it in flat-tipped tweezers as near to the point of cut as possible. Where the piece is long and thin I also place masking tape along its length to give further support. Inevitably there will remain something to sand down and again the tweezers and masking tape are used.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Jacek

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 05:22:03 AM »
Guns and engine are beautiful !
I'm curious how will be look  model.