Author Topic: Omega Models MB bis in 1:32 scale  (Read 14838 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Omega Models MB bis in 1:32 scale
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »
I have decided to build this model next, the Omega Models 1:32 scale Mosca-Bistritski MB bis Russian fighter of WW1. It is an all resin kit and a limited series, so it could prove interesting. I only ordered the kit tonight (Monday) from Hannants in the UK but it is coming airmail so hopefully I will have it early next week. Naturally, there will be a full build log posted on my website as well as here.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Omega Models MB bis in 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
Good luck with it Des

I'm looking forward to the build log.

I've finally received some replacement parts from Eduard - for things somehow damaged in the box - so in the near future I can crack on with my EV.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »
   Certainly a rare subject Des. Where do you go for reference material? Looking forward to following another winner!
Cheers, (& Happy Building!) :)
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
That looks like an interesting project, Des.  Your build of a resin model
will be a great learning tool for myself.  I am looking forward to following
your progress. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »
What a coincidence, Des!  I just ordered the 1/48 version of this very same kit from the very same Hannants!  I felt compelled after reading Osprey's Russian Aces of WWI.  I'll be watching this one very closely to pick up any tips I can get.  This will fit in very nicely with your growing collection of pioneering aircraft.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 07:31:46 AM »
Thanks very much for the votes of confidence, hope I can live up to it.

Lance - reference material is pretty sparse (as scarce as hens teeth) interior detail is the biggest issue at the moment but I have only just started my search, if information is not available I will just wing it.

Bub - excellent news that you purchased the same kit in 1:48 scale, maybe you could build yours first and that will allow me to follow you  :) ;)

Received shipping notoce from Hannants last night so hopefully the model will be sitting in the belly of a big silver bird heading my way.

Des.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
  Des,
My old friend I certainly will be following this latest project with the greatest of interest. I have no doubt it will be a real stunner.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Ordered this kit on the 21/10/13, received shipping notice (airmail, small parcel) on the 22/10/13, and here it is the 04/11/13 and I am still waiting for it to arrive, ah well, it will get here eventually, I suppose, I hope....

Des.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »
Hello Des,

It's hard to wait when one wants to start it, doesn't it Des. I thing everyone is waiting too, to see you create another beauty. Good luck!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline IvotB

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 01:38:26 AM »
Well, between New Zealand and the Netherlands the average shipping time is over 4 weeks. Don't know what takes up most time. WNW ships almost between 24 and 48 hours and then the waiting starts. I expect that also dutch customs take their time to calculate VAT and other niceties raising the cost of a WNW kit. On the other hand Hannants WNW prices do not encourage me to order WNW kits in the UK.
But for transit times: take a few more weeks.  ::)

But on to the subject: can't wait to see what it's worth. I have some Omega resin kits. But all in 1:72 and most of the time they are pretty basic. I am confident however that you will build it into a beautiful model. It may require some scratch building ;)

regards,
Ivo

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
I guess this was a Morane G or H clone?

Anyway, I just wanted to express appreciation of the diversity of your build logs, Des - you clearly make an effort to cover every genre (injected, resin, scratch etc.) as well as every manufacturer, which means there are bags of useful hints and tips to be had, even if you haven't made the specific kit we might be tackling.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
Thanks guys for your words of support.

The kit arrived today, the first photo was for a bit of fun just to show the size comparison between a Wingnuts box and the Omega box  ???

Next photos show the box contents, the resin parts were sealed in separate pouches which offer good protection. The decals and the PE set were in another plastic bag, the instructions were packed at the bottom of the box.

The instructions are what I would call very basic, just one sheet of paper with reasonably clear drawings, the reverse side shows the parts list and decals plus the first stage of construction using the PE set.

The PE set is quite good and done on very thin brass, the parts are well detailed and are very easy to remove from the fret.

As with most resin kits there is a lot of flash but this is very thin and easily removed. The wing ribs are well detailed but the wings are extremely thin, so much so that the trailing edges are wavy. All the parts cleaned up well and only took about an hour, the leading edge of the wings took a bit of sanding. The engine is fairly basic and lacks any fine detail, the intake tubes are supplied but my kit only has six, it's a nine cylinder engine. The rudder bar and control column are supplied as PE, I will be replacing these with scratch built items, the seat is also way too small so I will scratch something better.

The decals are pretty poor, they come with a warning stating that they are not made by standard technology, the entire sheet is the carrier film so decals have to be cut individually. They also say that some colours are printed in a dot format, the warnings are quite lengthy and comprehensive.

So, that's it, I didn't get a lot for my £75 plus £7.50 post ($143.00AUD), hopefully it will build up to be a nice model, this will be my second resin kit.

Des.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »
Nice kit report, Des. Looking forward to watching this one unfold...

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:09 AM »
I'm happy the model has made it to you, Des.  It looks really interesting
and I look forward to you making it into one of your usual show stoppers.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »
The build has commenced. I started with the cockpit frame, this is supplied as PE, it folds very easy but does not mate up properly at some of the corners. Included with the PE frame are the bracing wires and the throttle quadrant. I decided to make it look more substantial so I added 1.0mm square styrene strips to each of the internal corners of the frame, these will be painted a wood colour.

Des.