Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425498 times)

Offline drdave

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2205 on: May 16, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »
Hanriot or Starstrutter. Pleeeaase.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2206 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
*chants* B-E-2! B-E-2! B-E-2!
Yes Zac. A Be would be appreciated by many here, and I am sure it is on it's way. Actually, as the Vintage Aviator has full size excamples I am quite surpised it has not yet been relased! But I think it reasonable to think it is in development, I hope  ;D
With every visit to Hood Aerodrome I - like Jamo - am painfully aware of that very disappointing discrepancy!  :o

I'm sure it's not a question of "if", but "when". And that's where my lack of patience shines through!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2207 on: May 18, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them. The roden kits are very buildable and turn out nicely. I have built one and will build more whether wnw does one or not. With so many fighters never ever kitted I will keep hoping for something else something cool something different. I will never understand why some guys will only build a biplane if its wnw. Maybe they are wnw fans not necessarily ww1 aircraft fans? Idk?

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2208 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them. The roden kits are very buildable and turn out nicely. I have built one and will build more whether wnw does one or not. With so many fighters never ever kitted I will keep hoping for something else something cool something different. I will never understand why some guys will only build a biplane if its wnw. Maybe they are wnw fans not necessarily ww1 aircraft fans? Idk?

I understand your point ALBATROS. But then, I think it is a question of quality. Roden kits are fine. I have built about 20 of them in 1/72 and also started my adventure with 1/32 with their SPAD 13. But when one buys a WNW kit, opens the box, flips through the instruction manual, cuts first bits from sprues, builds the model with ultimate fit level, then, sorry, getting back to Roden kits is like changing from a high class Mercedes or BMW to a good but ordinary car like Fiat or Ford. Some may like a Ford but the majority, if they can afford it, will drive a BMW.
Yes, we are spoilt by the quality of WNW kits and every new release causes a rush. Be it a completely new, un-kitted subject or a one already existing in the market. WNW will beat any with their quality.
Thus, I will welcome any new kit they may release. Even if the subject does not appeal to me, as is the Albie trilogy. I will just not buy it but I will be glad to see the company develop and expand the kits range.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online macsporran

« Reply #2209 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them.........
I understand your point ALBATROS.........

I'm with Albie on this. I'd much rather welcome a 1/32 Dolphin, Strutter or Halberstadt from WNW than see them replicate Roden's perfectly good Albatros D.III. I suppose if you only wanted to build one model, you'd want it to bee WNW quality, but for those of that want to build a collection let's have more unkitted types.

Regarding the cars analogy, I have a BMW but take holidays and weekends in Italy, France and Spain regularly. I'll hire a Fiesta or a Cinquecento or a Micra every time because I'd much rather drive a little Fiat through Naples' killer traffic than the equivalent of my beloved 5 Series! My point here is - horses for courses. When I start a Wingnuts kit AMS immediately takes over. I have to take time over every tiny hidden detail to respect the quality of the kit. Sometimes I just fancy a quick kitbash and will happily leap into a Roden kit and, yes, possibly cut some corners (like the bits of engine unseen under a cowling,) coz I want to actually finish the damn thing in less than the 6 months my last WNW took!

If WNW bring out a Dr.I or an Alb D.III before a Dolphin I'll be gutted.
S

Offline Russell

« Reply #2210 on: May 19, 2017, 01:50:32 AM »

I'm not a stranger to kits which present the most basic shapes which have to be fettled & added to - a lot of the earlier white metal or resin racing car kits fell into this category & I've built quite a few of those.

My current attitude is that my time is very limited & I'd prefer if possible to spend it building a very good kit as well as I can together with adding such extra details I fancy rather than spend time putting right the oversights & errors in a lesser kit.

That doesn't mean I'll ignore a not so refined kit if it's the only one available (I've just had a Roden kit arrive today) but given the choice I'll take WnW (or similar) quality every time.

Regards
Russell

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2211 on: May 19, 2017, 05:46:01 AM »
last time Roden dropped a 1/32 WWI kit on the world was 2013. this leads me to speculate that they avoid this subject/scale combination due to WNW. WNW don't seem to keen on deliberately duplicating Roden's efforts, so i don't expect Albatros D.1 or D.III, or SPAD VII.

The Hobbycraft SPAD XIII, however, is not widely available anymore. so even if it was adequate there's no current XIII on the market. I'd love a XII but they're pretty rare.

i'll second the Sopwith Dolphin, just in case anyone from WNW reads this stuff .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2212 on: May 19, 2017, 06:23:08 AM »
Someone on Facebook suggested the Curtiss Jenny. Would that be the ultimate "no-brainer" for the US market, as well as countless others?

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2213 on: May 20, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Wasn't the US no-brainer voted for last year? ;)

Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2214 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34:52 PM »
I'm just voicing my opinion. I enjoy building and solving small issues in creative ways. And personally I am much more impressed when i see a model where someone makes a masterpiece out of less than ideal beginnings. To my eye most wingnuts kits look the same as other wingnuts builds. They are virtually perfectly engineered and fall together giving not too much room to make it unique. That said some guys go above and beyond with these kits , bo and bertl  come to mind as the best of the best. This is all my opinion and my way of looking at modeling which tells me u like personalizing my builds. The problem I have had with wnw is I get bogged down with ams rather then just building. And i just thing the roden kits are fine for now. If wnw continues long term I will welcome a dr.1 etc. But there's too many others need to be done atm

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2215 on: July 15, 2017, 03:39:19 AM »
there is a mysterious new model in development ( item 32069) in the PDF catalog
  But, alas, it's gone west....vanished....no more question mark, no nothin'.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #2216 on: July 17, 2017, 02:06:42 PM »
I suspect that the Grail Beacon was not supposed to be lit.  Bad Zoot, Naughty Zoot.  She must be spanked!!  ;)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2217 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
I suspect that the Grail Beacon was not supposed to be lit.  Bad Zoot, Naughty Zoot.  She must be spanked!!  ;)

;D ;D ;D
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2218 on: July 19, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »
(Nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2219 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:11 AM »
Certainly a Teaser! Perhaps pertaining to that Obereusel URII on the Lehrone Sprue  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler