Author Topic: Revell 1/72 Sopwith Triplane  (Read 18034 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Revell 1/72 Sopwith Triplane
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
I've been focusing on some non-WW1 subjects lately, but have still managed to find a little bit of time to tinker on a WW1 subject... I've started playing with the 1/72 Revell Sopwith Triplane.

This kit is well over 46 years old, first being released in 1966 (if the Windsock datafile on the 'tripe is to be believed).  For a kit that's approaching 50 years old, it's surprisingly accurate against the datafile drawings in a number of key areas, namely the profile / dinemsions of the fuselage (minus kingpost) and wings (though the tips need a small amount of reshaping, which is easy). There are still some areas that leave allot to be desired, such as the shape of the elevators (way too short, though good in span), the cowling (not deep or rounded enough), the "starved cow" look to the fuselage around the cockpit (indeed only the horizontal stringers are moulded, not the vertical), no cockpit, poor guns, wheels, engine and prop.  Oh, and every flying surface has a "fabric" texture on it that is way overdone.  The moulds have suffered over the years though - there is a bit of flash, and several areas (namely the upper fuselage forward of the cockpit) suffers from some awful blobs and deformities that need smoothing out. All in all though, the kit is a very solid base for a nice representation of the 'tripe.

So I have made some small progress thus far.  Probably the biggest thing I decided to do was fill in the holes in the fuselage where the bottom wing slots (the single piece bottom wing was a terrible fit, both in length (too short), width (fuselage section on the wings too wide), and profile ); the plan is to remove the lower wings from the centre section and glue them onto the fuselage. This will save me some awkward filling and sanding later and will help get a clean joint at the wing roots.  It also facilitates some re-skinning of the fuselage (more on that below).  The basic interior stringers have also been added, as well as some floor structure.  It's a small cockpit - these basic elements are all that's really needed to provide a basis for some detailing. 

You'll notice I also replaced the kit cowl with one from the spares box -  it's a spare from an Eduard Nieuport 17 with the external stiffeners sanded off, some vent holes cut, and a chin-panel added.  It's a much nicer shape than the kit cowl and the fit is not too bad. 

I also decided to do some basic re-skinning of the fuselage sides to better represent the "box" structure that shows through under the fabric in some photos.  I embossed some thin plastic, glued it to the fuselage (after sanding off the kit stringers) and sanded / blended it into the remaining fuselage skin.  It's basic but I think better than what the kit comes with.  You'll also notice in the photos that I removed the blobby kit representations of the access panels on the cheek cowls (i'll replace these with thin card) and extended the depth of the cheek cowls to match the rest of the fuselage.  I also extended the elevators and re-profiled the fin / rudder to better match the datafile drawings.

Like I said, not too much progress just yet, but enough for things to be mildly interesting :)

All comments and feedback welcomed!   :)

BC
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:40:20 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Revell 1/72 Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:48:03 PM »
  Brad,
Outstanding first progress my old friend. I'm very much looking forward to following this thread and seeing an awesome Revell Tripe.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »
Great start Brad. This kit is an oldie but a goodie and I'm sure you will turn it into a masterpiece, looking forward to your next progress shots.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
Your report is like a revelation to me. I was long thinking to build this one but somehow gave it up recently. But what you showed makes me rethink this build. I am almost sure, I will tackle it after finishing Palz D.III. Thank you, Brad, for this!!!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
I'm always amazed at what these tiny old kits become in your skillful hands, Brad.  Your petite N.28 was truly stunning and the work you've done on this Triplane demonstrates that this one will be an excellent stablemate. Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this build.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
Very nice start Brad, those improvements have been noted for future referance..... ;)

Ian

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »
Amazing work! Its great what you can do with these classics!!

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:14:49 AM »
Brilliant start, Brad.  I love all the updates you've added to this wee, tiny thing.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
Great work Brad and you are certainly dragging this kit into 21st Century modelling standards. Those vintage Revell kits are still worthy platforms and I'm especially a fan of their SE5a and would love to see what you did with that.

Your Sopwith Triplane build is shaping as a real stunner.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
Hi folks - I am back at the bench now after a bit of an absence (about 1 month overseas with work), and I have the cockpit done on the triplane.  It's all scratchbuilt save some of the instrument dials, seat belts and the seat back (all etched items from Eduard). The rest was done with plastic sheet and strip, wire, elastic (rigging), and putty for the seat cushion.  It all looks very 'blobby' in the up-close photography, but looks good enough when viewed through the small cockpit opening :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
Bravo.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
Amazing, Brad. Very nice modelling on this interior. And I do know, how small it is. Just amazing...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »
It's incredible that you are able to add so much detail into such a small model, superb workmanship Brad.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jacek

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
It looks very good. It is nice to look like someone out of nothing makes a beautiful thing.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
Your interior work is great, Brad.  I really have to hand it to you
for the fine modelling skills, especially in 1/72 scale, which I can
barely see, much less work on! ;D
  Thanks for sharing your work.  Looking forward to more.

Best Regards,
Ernie
The new old guy, take two...