Author Topic: 1/32 lozenge decal comparison, 4 & 5 colour  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
1/32 lozenge decal comparison, 4 & 5 colour
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
Following recent discussion about lozenge decal colours I thought it might be useful to compare some of the latest releases from HGW and Wood & Wire (marketed by Nordland Models) with the Wingnut Wings decals and Doug Baumann's (however I don't have Doug's four colour lozenge). I added in the 4 colour lozenge from the Avis Fokker EV kit. 

The decals were photographed together to ensure a valid side by side comparison and then I moved the images around (without altering the colour/lighting settings) to get the patterns to match.  The Wood & Wire lozenge is noted as being 'faded with fabric texture and overprint effect' and the images you see are a bit harsh in terms of the fabric 'weave' compared to seeing them in your hand. The effect is well done IMHO. The HGW decals are noted as being 'faded - transparent' and need to be applied over a white undercoat. The resulting finish may differ in colour from these images of the unapplied decals.

Here is the five colour (upper) setup so you can see my approach:

And here is the 4 colour upper setup:

Results:
5 colour side by side comparison

4 colour side by side comparison

I am not going to pronounce any judgement on the colours as I am not qualified to do so, but the Avis 4 colour lozenge looks way off . . .

Comments welcome!
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/