Author Topic: Bristol M1.c in 1:32 scale  (Read 13601 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Bristol M1.c in 1:32 scale
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »
  Des,
She's coming along nicely my old friend. I've noticed how clean the seams between the parts are . Is the results of your always outstanding work or is the kit fit that good? Did the white metal landing struts require much rework (reshaping) or merely parts clean up? Thanks for this excellent thread,the more I follow the more I want to get ahold of one of these kits.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 12:04:06 AM »
Without knowing this is a resin kit, I would've thought that it's injection moulded. That speaks well for the kit itself but also to the skills of the modeller, who we all know could easily make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 05:46:34 AM »
Thanks guys for all the nice comments.

Gregory - The white metal landing struts did not require any work at all, just a very minimal amount of light sanding along the edges. The fit of parts with this kit are excellent resulting in very good seam joints, the only part so far that need a small amount of sanding to make it sit perfectly was the cockpit coaming, but it was only about two minutes work. I am very impressed with the kit so far and being my first resin kit it has inspired me to build more kits in this medium. I noticed on the a2zeemodels website that they have posted a notice saying - due to demand please allow 1 - 2 weeks manufacturing time - so I guess this kit has proven very popular for them.

Des. 
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:54 AM »
   Des,
Thanks for your reply and heads up on the demand my old friend. From what I've seen from your build it's no wonder there's a high demand for this gem.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
Tip top, Des!
Looking forward to seeing more updates  ;)

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 06:44:24 AM »
Nice to see there is a demand for this machine. That combined with the quality ensures future releases.

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
Great work as always Des, this looks like a great kit - would be nice to see a number of builds (Hint, hint Bob 8))

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
I have added the decals to this model using the kit supplied sheet. The decals are not bad, could be better but went on okay with the help of Mr Mark Softer, once I patted the decals down I hit them with the hair drier, this made them really hug the surface. I sprayed the areas to have decals applied with Humbrol gloss varnish No.35, excellent finish for decal application, the entire model will now be sprayed with Humbrol Satin clear.

The engine has also been made and fitted, it is a great little engine with exceptional detail, the fins are well defined and the top of the cylinders have great detail, the induction manifolds all fitted very well. The kit comes with a length of 0.5mm plastic rod to be cut up and used for the push rods, this would be perfectly alright but I decided to use 0.5mm brass tube.

Des.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »
That's one sweet bird Des!  Great job!  ;D  Love that paint scheme, but then again, they're all nice.  :)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
Spectacular Des! That is an amazing build and I'm especially impressed at how quickly you can produce museum- quality models. It takes me months to make a 1/32 model, so your speed and precision plus the workmanship is just so impressive.

Kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »
Beautiful finish Des. What did you use for the silver?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Chris - I used silver  :) :) :)

seriously though, I used the old tried and tested Humbrol No.11 Silver, it's been around for a million years and has always been a good paint, it sprays beautifully. Some areas of the model are still gloss coated for decal application, so it will all be dulled off with a coat of satin soon.

I hand made the fuel pump which is mounted on the front leg of the undercarriage strut, the wings will be going on today.

Thanks Dave and Bob for your kind words. I'm hoping that Rowan will bring out a complete decal set for this particular model, there are some really nice schemes for the Bristol M1.c and I'm sure a decal set would prove very popular.

I chose this particular trainer version because I wanted to get away from the boring PC10/12 which is so common on a lot of RFC aircraft.

Des.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 09:58:23 AM »
  Des,
She looks fantastic in the trainer livery my old friend. I wonder though if the skull and crossbones was some sort of ominous warning to the trainee's. Outstanding thread and a joy to follow.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Very sharp. You went with the silver one - tough choice I imagine!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
Not a tough choice at all Steve, I didn't want another model in PC10/12 so silver/black is a far cry from the norm.

The wings went on extremely well, and easy. I used five minute epoxy to hold the wings as the wings are a little weighty, just a matter of propping up the wing tips until the glue set. I will spray the entire model with a satin clear coat tomorrow.

I forgot to mention it but the rudder is hand painted, I prefer to hand paint instead of using the rudder decals.

Des.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:26:20 PM by Des »